Question about Stony Brook Medical School & NY medical School (Not NYU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahwhatever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted by either of these schools recently, and if you don't mind sharing, what your gpa/mcat scores were?

I know this website lists the average, but I really want some realistic stats that got people in, to see what their ranges really are.

My GPA is a 3.47, and my chances of getting into these schools seem really low. Haven't taken my MCATs yet.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted by either of these schools recently, and if you don't mind sharing, what your gpa/mcat scores were?

I know this website lists the average, but I really want some realistic stats that got people in, to see what their ranges really are.

My GPA is a 3.47, and my chances of getting into these schools seem really low. Haven't taken my MCATs yet.

Thanks.

Judging from my own experience (almost exactly your GPA), if you get around a 30 MCAT, you will probably receive an interview invite from NYMC and only get an invite from Stony if you're lucky. With a higher MCAT it may be a different story.

Thanks.

Some guy I know from Cali was accepted by NYMC and rejected by all SUNY's with GPA of 3.81, MCAT 32Q. Should be easier for NY residents though.

Try to get a higher MCAT, and apply broadly to a lot of east coast schools will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you're from Long Island and you do well on the MCAT you'd have a shot at getting an interview at SB assuming your GPA is from a pretty good undergrad school.

So I guess you should aim for a 36.

Thanks.

Without having taken the MCAT, nobody can really say :( What have you been getting on practices?

I can tell you that I come from a school in NY thats well known for its hardcore sciences (as a biochemistry major). I had a 3.74 and 29P (7v, 11ps, 11bs), and got rejected from SB w/o an interview. The asst. dean told me my application was in the "very competitive for interview" category the whole time they had it, but never made it past...just to give you an idea. She said it wasn't necessarily my verbal, but just that they got a lot of good applicants that they chose to interview over me (makes me think it was ECs...mine were like a 6-7 on a scale from 1-10).

I haven't gotten in yet, but i interviewed at NYMC, Stony Brook, and Downstate. My undergrad was a 3.24 - majored in Child Development at a competitive school; postbac was a 4.2; mcats 25O: V7,P9,B9. I believe that grades are a part of it, but if medical school is what want, you will show this beyond the MCATs & grades. Goodluck, push forward!:thumbup: