SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question about Stony Brook Medical School & NY medical School (Not NYU)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blahwhatever, May 11, 2007.

1. blahwhatever

blahwhatever 5+ Year Member

May 9, 2007
    I was just wondering if anyone has been accepted by either of these schools recently, and if you don't mind sharing, what your gpa/mcat scores were?

I know this website lists the average, but I really want some realistic stats that got people in, to see what their ranges really are.

My GPA is a 3.47, and my chances of getting into these schools seem really low. Haven't taken my MCATs yet.

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member 2+ Year Member

May 28, 2006
    Boston & NYC

Judging from my own experience (almost exactly your GPA), if you get around a 30 MCAT, you will probably receive an interview invite from NYMC and only get an invite from Stony if you're lucky. With a higher MCAT it may be a different story.

4. Old ortho

Old ortho 2+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Some guy I know from Cali was accepted by NYMC and rejected by all SUNY's with GPA of 3.81, MCAT 32Q. Should be easier for NY residents though.

Try to get a higher MCAT, and apply broadly to a lot of east coast schools will help.

5. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this 10+ Year Member

May 31, 2006
    Well, if you're from Long Island and you do well on the MCAT you'd have a shot at getting an interview at SB assuming your GPA is from a pretty good undergrad school.

So I guess you should aim for a 36.

6. Kfire326

Kfire326 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Without having taken the MCAT, nobody can really say :( What have you been getting on practices?

I can tell you that I come from a school in NY thats well known for its hardcore sciences (as a biochemistry major). I had a 3.74 and 29P (7v, 11ps, 11bs), and got rejected from SB w/o an interview. The asst. dean told me my application was in the "very competitive for interview" category the whole time they had it, but never made it past...just to give you an idea. She said it wasn't necessarily my verbal, but just that they got a lot of good applicants that they chose to interview over me (makes me think it was ECs...mine were like a 6-7 on a scale from 1-10).

7. oh3dre

oh3dre

Jan 5, 2009
    Westchester
    I haven't gotten in yet, but i interviewed at NYMC, Stony Brook, and Downstate. My undergrad was a 3.24 - majored in Child Development at a competitive school; postbac was a 4.2; mcats 25O: V7,P9,B9. I believe that grades are a part of it, but if medical school is what want, you will show this beyond the MCATs & grades. Goodluck, push forward!:thumbup:

8. jsanchez

jsanchez 2+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2008