Question about switching...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grundik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an intern in a specialty that I am thinking of abandoning to pursue a career in pathology. I need some input on what pathology is all about from all aspects, including lifestyle, career, employment, income, about the actual work that pathologists do, and so on. I would also like to know how feasable is it for an american grad to get a spot outside the match.

Thanks,
Currently Disappointed

Members don't see this ad.

Yaah has put together some nice information in the FAQ sticky. It covers many of the points you raise in your post.

My impression of getting a spot outside the match is that it is still possible to do so. As I'm going through the match this year, I can't offer any sound advice on the matter. Hopefully some of the others who post here can help you out.

Good luck.

Welcome to the path forum! I think you'll find most of us helpful. We've had a few people post with the same type of questions.

First, I'll direct you to my website: http://pathdoc.blogspot.com. There's an article there called choosing pathology (http://choosepath.blogspot.com) that you might find helpful; it's geared towards medical students interested in path but some of it may be applicable.

Second, I'd written a long post twice, accidentaly deleting it each time, so I'll give you the highlights b/c my hands are tired :)

1. Private practice pathology- mostly surg path with a smattering of some other areas such as cyto, heme, and CP stuff depending on the pathologist's training and the needs of the group. Salary is good, probably starting in low to mid 100K with increases as time goes on and as partnership is obtained. Hours generally good but can be long depending on the practice and especially fresh out of residency (takes longer to feel comfortable with your dx's).
2. Academics- can pracitce more specialized path like doing only surg path, cyto, heme, etc. Given time for education and research. Pay less than private practice on average. Will have residents to do all your scut work!
3. Job market- a source of much discussion in this fourm. Seems to be pretty good overall with most residents getting jobs after training. As with any field, there are crap jobs but overall, I think most pathologists find a job they are happy with.
4. Getting a position outside the match- will depend on you finding a program that has a spot that they want to fill that way. Call PD's and see what's out there. You may run upon something good.

Best of luck in your switch. I think you'll find path to be fun and challenging with good hours and good pay.

Hi,

I'm also in the same boat- am hoping to make the switch for 2005 into pathology. PM me if you like.

Good luck