Question about systems-based curriculum (organ system "blocks")

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndTidalCO2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of a systems-based curriculum and how exactly it's broken down.

The way I understand it currently is for each particular organ system, you attack it from all directions, including microbiology, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, and pathology, as well as any behavioral/social sciences related to the topic.

However, how does this actually look in reality?

Say that an OMS1 or OMS2 is trying to go through the STEP 1 review resources (BRS physiology, Pathoma, First Aid, Sketchy Micro, etc.) as they progress through the curriculum (long-term studying approach to become familiar with the review books).......will it be made clear during their systems course the different components that they need to know? Like will it be all jumbled up together or is it going to be made abundantly clear that "we are now covering the genetics and biochemistry associated with the respiratory system"...for instance?

Let me know if anyone has any valuable insight! Much appreciated in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At our school, we are told what topic a lecture is going to be on on our calendar. So, it'll say something like "name of course/subject/name of lecture/professor". So, like "neuro/GA/topography/Dr.X", with GA being gross anatomy. Also, each professor teaches in their subject, so it's not that hard to figure out. Our school does normal structure/function (so anatomy, phys, embryo, histo, biochem, some basic pharm) in M1 and then real pharm/path/micro in M2.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of a systems-based curriculum and how exactly it's broken down.

The way I understand it currently is for each particular organ system, you attack it from all directions, including microbiology, physiology, genetics, biochemistry, and pathology, as well as any behavioral/social sciences related to the topic.

However, how does this actually look in reality?

Say that an OMS1 or OMS2 is trying to go through the STEP 1 review resources (BRS physiology, Pathoma, First Aid, Sketchy Micro, etc.) as they progress through the curriculum (long-term studying approach to become familiar with the review books).......will it be made clear during their systems course the different components that they need to know? Like will it be all jumbled up together or is it going to be made abundantly clear that "we are now covering the genetics and biochemistry associated with the respiratory system"...for instance?

Let me know if anyone has any valuable insight! Much appreciated in advance!!!
So like your physiology staff will cover physiology and biochem covers biochem etc. first semester is probably most variable by school. Some start systems very early. Mine started them in second semester. At mine you have a few weeks to learn everything about renal or GI or whatever and that’s it. Make the most of those few weeks bc that’s all you’ll get. Typically the ball gets rolling with anatomy and histology with some biochem sprinkled in. Then path and phys comes in hot next to your clinical classes and your whole world catches on fire. Pharm throws a bunch of drugs at you with mechanisms and contraindications every which way. Infectious diseases is randomly showing up so hope you memorized sketchy.

Members don't see this ad :)
At our school, we are told what topic a lecture is going to be on on our calendar. So, it'll say something like "name of course/subject/name of lecture/professor". So, like "neuro/GA/topography/Dr.X", with GA being gross anatomy. Also, each professor teaches in their subject, so it's not that hard to figure out. Our school does normal structure/function (so anatomy, phys, embryo, histo, biochem, some basic pharm) in M1 and then real pharm/path/micro in M2.
Embryo... bane of my medical school career. Especially the pharyngeal arch junk