Question about taking a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915763

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, if I am planning on taking a gap year, do I have to be taking college classes during this "gap"? I wanted to take a gap year to work on additional EC's and really prepare for the mcat. Is this standard, do a lot of people do this?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is that if you are taking a gap year, use it to work on whatever you see as a gap ... in your application. For you, it sounds like that might be ECs and the MCAT, so work on those. I don't see any reason you would need to take random classes, unless you're trying to improve a poor score, have additional exposure to pre-med topics for MCAT purposes, etc.

It is not a requisite of a gap year that they be filled with coursework.

Some people study for and (re)take the MCAT.

Some people do a post-bacc, masters, SMP, or even PhD program.

Some people work - as an EMT, a lab technician, or a waiter.

Some people voltuneer with AmeriCorps or Peace Corps.

Your gap year is entirely up to you what you do with it. I recommend taking a hard look at your application and ask yourself: what would give me the highest return for the time investment?

If you’re sitting on a 501, retaking the MCAT should be a priority unless you’re planning to apply exclusively to the lower- to lower-middle-tier DO schools. If your GPA is in the low 3s or 2s, an extended post-bacc or SMP probably fits you well. Low volunteer hours? Figure out how to get involved with Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill or some other community group in your area. All of the above? You may need more than one year, and that’s okay!

What you shouldn’t do is stack more classes into your application when you already have a 3.9 and have completed all prerequisite coursework, or be primarily involved in research when you already have a thousand hours (some exceptions apply).

Pick your battles well and have a productive gap year(s) and things will work out well for you!

Reactions: 1 user
if I am planning on taking a gap year, do I have to be taking college classes during this "gap"?

Absolutely not. If you are significantly improving your application during your gap year, it is a gap year well spent -- pick your poison.

Reactions: 1 user