Question about tax writeoffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacads

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a full-time job as a nurse anesthetist and go back for a Family Nurse Practitioner degree and open/volunteer at a Free Clinic (charity) where I would not be paid a salary can I deduct the potential loss of wages from my tax bill? In other words if I am getting soaked in high tax rates as a CRNA can I offset that bill by deducting a "negative" salary or offset from my time as a non-paid professional?

Thanks,

Mark

Members don't see this ad.

Jacads said:
If I have a full-time job as a nurse anesthetist and go back for a Family Nurse Practitioner degree and open/volunteer at a Free Clinic (charity) where I would not be paid a salary can I deduct the potential loss of wages from my tax bill? In other words if I am getting soaked in high tax rates as a CRNA can I offset that bill by deducting a "negative" salary or offset from my time as a non-paid professional?

Thanks,

Mark

This forum has the answers you are looking for.

www.allnurses.com

I couldn't find any info on allnurses website since most RNs cannot afford to volunteer their time or are very concerned with tax writeoffs. I have seen numerous physicians volunteer their time and figured this would be the site to find out about this type of deduction if there is such a thing.

Thanks,

Mark

toughlife said:
This forum has the answers you are looking for.

www.allnurses.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Jacads said:
I couldn't find any info on allnurses website since most RNs cannot afford to volunteer their time or are very concerned with tax writeoffs. I have seen numerous physicians volunteer their time and figured this would be the site to find out about this type of deduction if there is such a thing.

Thanks,

Mark

You can deduct direct expenses related to volunteer work, eg airfare , lodging costs, etc if the charity organization does not cover those expenses for you. If you volunteer locally, you can deduct mileage, meals, personal equipment, etc. You cannot assign a value to the professional services you provide and then deduct that amount from your earned income.

Your volunteer time is treated as lost income, not an active charitable contribution. When I take a week of vacation in order to do medical mission work, I don't make any revenue for the week. Thus my W-2 reported income is lower for the year. The value of the services I provide during the week was already completely deducted from my W-2 reported income. In other words, you cannot take a deduction from income you never had in the first place.

BTW- There are OR nurses, PACU nurses, occasionally CRNAs, scrub techs, and a pharmacist on every volunteer trip I've been on. The trips would be impossible without them. They also take vacation time in order to come.

Jacads said:

Thanks,

Mark

Yeah no Nurses ever volunteer. Volunteering is reserved for only rich peole since they can afford to take off of work. You are lame man, get a life. I know people that dont even freaking work and are living in poverty themselves that volunteer very frequently. Again the narrow mindedness here.

Glad you know them. I personally do not but I guess that makes me lame. You notice I said most nurses not all nurses, if you had your head out of that arse of yours you could maybe reread the post and volunteer something constructive instead of spewing forth your own ignorance. Nitecap how many nurses you know that volunteer and try to utilize it for tax purposes?

nitecap said:
Yeah no Nurses ever volunteer. Volunteering is reserved for only rich peole since they can afford to take off of work. You are lame man, get a life. I know people that dont even freaking work and are living in poverty themselves that volunteer very frequently. Again the narrow mindedness here.

Many many nurses here in Houston go on medical missions both the Mexico and the Phillipines. Now using it for tax break purposes I am not sure, but volunteering come on man. Still narrow minded, sorry you dont personally know any nurses that volunteer, maybe you need to meet a few more.

jacads,

Don't worry about student nurse nitecap. He is still licking his wounds from the thrashing he has been taking recently, mostly from entering every discussion with a chip on his shoulder and causing trouble in a forum he doesn't belong in.

I do quite a few write offs per year, if you have any specific ?'s, PM me.