Question about teaching for Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzz1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello premed's,

Has anyone taught for Kaplan before? My question is about their training program once you passed the audition. I was told it's like 4 hours 1 night once per week for 5 weeks.

My questions:

1. do you get paid during their training program? if so, how much? also, how much once you start teaching?

2. What do you exactly do during the program?

thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

zzz1 said:
Hello premed's,

Has anyone taught for Kaplan before? My question is about their training program once you passed the audition. I was told it's like 4 hours 1 night once per week for 5 weeks.

My questions:

1. do you get paid during their training program? if so, how much? also, how much once you start teaching?

2. What do you exactly do during the program?

thanks alot

I will be teaching mcat by the way

zzz1 said:
I will be teaching mcat by the way

You get paid the training rate $7/hr, but since you have to prepare for teachbacks you will also be reimbursed for preparing at $7/hr, so really it's like $14/hr. At the training you will go over the material they assign you, discuss Kaplan and the Kaplan strategies and such, and then you have to go up and mock teach your fellow trainees. It's not that bad, except it's just soooo boring!!!! FOUR hours a week for FIVE weeks. They said that not everyone will pass training, but I think Kaplan is desperate for MCAT teachers that they will pass everyone. Nothing to freak out over. The teach backs were like 10-20 minutes each session (depending on how many people there are). Oh yeah it's $22/hr for teaching the course, and the first time you teach the course you get $7/hr for preparing. K hope this was helpful. Gluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
RubberDuckie7 said:
You get paid the training rate $7/hr, but since you have to prepare for teachbacks you will also be reimbursed for preparing at $7/hr, so really it's like $14/hr. At the training you will go over the material they assign you, discuss Kaplan and the Kaplan strategies and such, and then you have to go up and mock teach your fellow trainees. It's not that bad, except it's just soooo boring!!!! FOUR hours a week for FIVE weeks. They said that not everyone will pass training, but I think Kaplan is desperate for MCAT teachers that they will pass everyone. Nothing to freak out over. The teach backs were like 10-20 minutes each session (depending on how many people there are). Oh yeah it's $22/hr for teaching the course, and the first time you teach the course you get $7/hr for preparing. K hope this was helpful. Gluck!

Thanks so much rubberduckie, what if you have to miss one of the 5 training sessions? I will be out of town for one of the 5 weeks. do you think Kaplan will allow absenses in such cases?

Also when do you actually teach for them? the months before the april and august MCATS? or do you actually teach year around? How long are the actual classes that you teach? 8 weeks, right?

zzz1 said:
Thanks so much rubberduckie, what if you have to miss one of the 5 training sessions? I will be out of town for one of the 5 weeks. do you think Kaplan will allow absenses in such cases?

Also when do you actually teach for them? the months before the april and august MCATS? or do you actually teach year around? How long are the actual classes that you teach? 8 weeks, right?

If you miss a session you can schedule a private session with the trainer or you can wait until their next training course. When you're done they give you all their available classes (there are a LOT) and you get to choose. I chose the Sat/Sun session which begins in February so i wouldn't have to miss any sessions b/c of interviews or whatnot. Some courses begin in January or February that end in April and some courses begin Feb or Mar and end in August, I guess it all depends on what your preference is. If you teach a course that prepares for the April exam then that means there will be more classes everyweek (three the most I think), but if you choose to teach for the one that prepares for August test, then there might only be one class a week. They only let you teach one MCAT course the first time you teach, but when you finish that course you can take on maybe two course at once or choose to become a tutor. Tutoring pays the same rate as teaching. Let me know if you have more questions. I haven't began teaching yet, I just finished training like two weeks ago.

Rubberduckie! you get paid $22 an hour? And that doesn't include the prep time? WOW i guess everything is more expensive in NYC. I only get $15/hr here in St. Louis. (+$7/hr for prep)

As far as training goes, it really depends on how many other people they train at the same time-- the more people in your group, the longer the sessions because you have to sit through everyone's teachbacks. I had to miss 2 out of the 4 group training sessions, so my center manager just let me make it up 1-on-1, which was great because it only took 1 hour! (yeah, I didn't get paid as much for training, but it's such a bore that i'd rather be done sooner) So all in all I only had about 7 hours of training.

ahumdinger said:
Rubberduckie! you get paid $22 an hour? And that doesn't include the prep time? WOW i guess everything is more expensive in NYC. I only get $15/hr here in St. Louis. (+$7/hr for prep)

As far as training goes, it really depends on how many other people they train at the same time-- the more people in your group, the longer the sessions because you have to sit through everyone's teachbacks. I had to miss 2 out of the 4 group training sessions, so my center manager just let me make it up 1-on-1, which was great because it only took 1 hour! (yeah, I didn't get paid as much for training, but it's such a bore that i'd rather be done sooner) So all in all I only had about 7 hours of training.

(HEY AHUMDINGER!! MERRY CHRISTMAS (late) HAPPY NEW YEAR (early))

Shoot, ZZZ1, I guess different locations pay different rates to teachers...I figured they were standard everywhere! I'm teaching in NYC (Ahumdinger knows me). You should probably call the center to ask beforehand...everything else should be the same...I hope...if not then sorry for the misinformation :oops:

RubberDuckie7 said:
If you miss a session you can schedule a private session with the trainer or you can wait until their next training course. When you're done they give you all their available classes (there are a LOT) and you get to choose. I chose the Sat/Sun session which begins in February so i wouldn't have to miss any sessions b/c of interviews or whatnot. Some courses begin in January or February that end in April and some courses begin Feb or Mar and end in August, I guess it all depends on what your preference is. If you teach a course that prepares for the April exam then that means there will be more classes everyweek (three the most I think), but if you choose to teach for the one that prepares for August test, then there might only be one class a week. They only let you teach one MCAT course the first time you teach, but when you finish that course you can take on maybe two course at once or choose to become a tutor. Tutoring pays the same rate as teaching. Let me know if you have more questions. I haven't began teaching yet, I just finished training like two weeks ago.

thank you rubberduckie. I will add more if i have more questions.

RubberDuckie7 said:
You get paid the training rate $7/hr, but since you have to prepare for teachbacks you will also be reimbursed for preparing at $7/hr, so really it's like $14/hr.
Assuming that you actually did your prep work, wouldn't that be like $14/2hr (aka $7/hour) with a few more hours of work?

SailCrazy said:
Assuming that you actually did your prep work, wouldn't that be like $14/2hr (aka $7/hour) with a few more hours of work?

Yea you can think of it that way, but I meant for every hour you're there at the training session you get paid $7/hr for being there and $7/hr for prep, so total $14 for every hour of training session. Ahumdinger went to 7 hours of training session, she got paid for those 7 hours of prepping. I went to 20 hours of training session, I got paid for 20 hours of prep in addition to 20 hours of being there. In reality, I really only prepared at most an hour for each 4 hour session.

mostwanted said:
Would kaplan let to teach for a section that you didn't get atleast a 90 percentile in?

They say that if you didn't score above 90% percentile in a section you can take a kaplan MCAT exam and score 11 and above...but seriously though I really don't think they'll fire you if you don't(once again, I think they're pretty desperate for MCAT teachers). I mean they give you a pretty comprehensive teacher's editions of the lessons. But the rules are different at different locations, in NY they require you to teach all three sections and in at other locations you can pick which section you want to teach.