Question about test day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxman310

TheManWithAPlan
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know you get a laminated card to write on:

1. Do you have to erase what you wrote between tests or when you leave the room, even if you dont take them with you?

I was wondering if I could take the tutorial time, or even before logging into the test if I could write out some mnemonics/charts/formulas or whatnot of things I like to visually refer to so that I don't have to waste time during the actual test.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
provided you dont bring anything in with you, you can write out whatever you want to. At my testing center they didnt make you erase it and they made no mention of it so i figure that they dont make you erase it at any testing center.

Theoretically it's a good idea... you can write out stuff that you find impossible to remember (lysosomal storage diseases for me i had to look up 800 times and I still can't remember them). Or equations you have stored in short term memory. No one will stop you from doing so. IIRC you can start using it even before the tutorial so you don't use up that break time.

Realistically however I can guarantee you that you can fill up your board with 5 point font notes and you'll be lucky to have even one thing show up on your exam that will actually change your answer. There's just too much material to cover. For me it was scratchwork to write pathways down in real time that would help jar my memory.

I would rather just start the test than use up my brain energy trying to recall a bunch of stuff that probably won't help. It's a loooooooong test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed an subject NBME final at my school and the weirdest thing: You are not allowed to erase anything (tho you can use both sides and ask for another dry erase board if necessary.)

It's really amazing what some people will do to cheat. Or that anyone can have that much time and energy as to try and cheat their way through the boards. Really. I think it's simpler just to learn as much as you can rather than find an elaborate way to cheat. At this point, learning the material is simpler!

I just completed an subject NBME final at my school and the weirdest thing: You are not allowed to erase anything (tho you can use both sides and ask for another dry erase board if necessary.)

It's really amazing what some people will do to cheat. Or that anyone can have that much time and energy as to try and cheat their way through the boards. Really. I think it's simpler just to learn as much as you can rather than find an elaborate way to cheat. At this point, learning the material is simpler!

It's not cheating if its coming from my memory, its just trying to do the best that I can given the situation.