Question about the cost of DPT schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeatherDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a two-part question: First, what are the chances that a school will offer you grants or a decrease in tuition? I've read about some students on this forum getting a full ride scholarship from their school (even with mediocre grades!) but really, how often does that happen?

I'm asking because I'm looking at some $90,000 (total) tuition schools that I have a pretty good chance of getting into. That being said, I'm NOT willing to spend $90,000 on tuition. I'd say closer to $60,000 total is what I'm comfortable with (and that's not including housing and living expenses).

Does it even make sense to apply to these more expensive schools, or would I just be flushing money down the toilet?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this happening but then again I've never looked into it. PT schools are all about money, if you're not willing to pay $90k at some school, I'm sure they can find a replacement for you to get $90k from....easily.

there are schools that offer full rides and significant scholarships to decrease your tuition. But they are very few and far between and usually a school only has 1 or 2 to offer each year. So the answer to your first question, in my opinion, is that its rare, but not impossible

if you know 100% that you wont be in scholarship contention and that you are not ok with paying the tuition, absolutely don't apply. Don't waste your time and money on a school that you are positively sure that you would not be ok with paying their tuition (unless you can't get in anywhere else...)

Members don't see this ad :)
90k, that's not a lot. I'm paying in state tuition and it's estimated at 117k ( without living expenses). When I saw that number, I was happy because it was lower than I expected. My wife went to dental school and that was 75k/year, fortunately she had a full ride scholarship. You should look into ways that will decrease your loans after you graduate, for example, going with the army or working in an under served population. There are some programs that pay up to 25k/year for every year you work in that community. That will help you get your loans to 60k if you attend a more expensive school.

90k, that's not a lot. I'm paying in state tuition and it's estimated at 117k ( without living expenses). When I saw that number, I was happy because it was lower than I expected. My wife went to dental school and that was 75k/year, fortunately she had a full ride scholarship. You should look into ways that will decrease your loans after you graduate, for example, going with the army or working in an under served population. There are some programs that pay up to 25k/year for every year you work in that community. That will help you get your loans to 60k if you attend a more expensive school.

117k!? That's insane. What school is this? The cheapest in state school around me cost about 66k after 3 years, that's just tuition. Private schools are around 82k

117k!? That's insane. What school is this? The cheapest in state school around me cost about 66k after 3 years, that's just tuition. Private schools are around 82k

I just received my information packet and you are right, I misquoted the actual figures. 117k is for non-residents and it's an estimated 76k for residents at the University of New Mexico. That's even better!

I have looked into programs like this but aside from joining the military, I really didn't come across anything that helped very much with tuition reimbursement.. definitely nothing close to $25k/year. Do you mind if I ask where you've seen programs like that?

I have looked into programs like this but aside from joining the military, I really didn't come across anything that helped very much with tuition reimbursement.. definitely nothing close to $25k/year. Do you mind if I ask where you've seen programs like that?

No problem, I can point you in the right direction. It's called the IHS loan repayment program (LRP) and I checked the website again, it's $20k/year. It must have been updated b/c a friend of mine is getting $25k/year. Here's the website:

https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/

Unfortunately it seems tuition at in-state schools is catching up with private schools. There are a few schools in TX and NC that still offer reasonable tuition, but you should be ready to pay $75-90k for tuition wherever you go. You have to ask yourself how much DPT is worth to you.

Unfortunately it seems tuition at in-state schools is catching up with private schools. There are a few schools in TX and NC that still offer reasonable tuition, but you should be ready to pay $75-90k for tuition wherever you go. You have to ask yourself how much DPT is worth to you.

and advice on how you're dealing with the debt so far or any advice your school has given you? I think I've read somewhere you're a 3rd year or recent grad?

It's true, school is getting EXPENSIVE. I have undergraduate loans too and at this point I just want to make the best decision for me, and my situation. When I add my undergrad loans to what my DPT loans will be, plus living expenses for three years, it adds up. For me, a $90k program (without any kind of financial assistance) isn't the right path :cool:

Last edited:
No problem, I can point you in the right direction. It's called the IHS loan repayment program (LRP) and I checked the website again, it's $20k/year. It must have been updated b/c a friend of mine is getting $25k/year. Here's the website:

https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/

Thanks so much for posting this! That's not a bad deal, I guess the only downfall would be that you have to go where the jobs are and you can't just apply for any old PT job in the areas you want to work. Grr, money is so frustrating..

Thanks so much for posting this! That's not a bad deal, I guess the only downfall would be that you have to go where the jobs are and you can't just apply for any old PT job in the areas you want to work. Grr, money is so frustrating..

I think i read it's only for 2 years! I was looking into it and don't think you can apply until you're finishing up or after you have your license, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think i read it's only for 2 years! I was looking into it and don't think you can apply until you're finishing up or after you have your license, correct me if I'm wrong though.

That's the impression I got, which makes me a little nervous. I want a sure thing. Like a school saying "Hey, your third year will be free!" ;)

Reactions: 1 user
That's the impression I got, which makes me a little nervous. I want a sure thing. Like a school saying "Hey, your third year will be free!" ;)

would be amazing, guess i'll start off looking into small scholarships...somewhere.

the majority of texas schools are around 30k tuition. the only one that isn't is UIW which is private and their program is 4 years

Ha, that's awesome. My wife is currently in dental school and I begin PT school in August. She finishes school in a year, and can then pay for my schooling!
It was nice to see someone in a similar situation.

OP: Definitely look into the gov't payback options that are available. Not sure where they'll be in 3-5 years.

and advice on how you're dealing with the debt so far or any advice your school has given you? I think I've read somewhere you're a 3rd year or recent grad?

I still have another year of school, so no I don't. Keep expenses low and pay $2k a month for 6-7 years and you should be able to pay off $150k of debt.

Yeah that's true. You'll have to go where they place you or apply to an IHS job in an area you like, and then apply for the loan program. There are Indian reservations everywhere but generally the urban areas never have openings.

That's correct, it's for two years. Then you can reapply again for another 2 year commitment. That is exactly what a friend of mine is doing, and his debt is near the 275k range.

Ha, that's awesome. My wife is currently in dental school and I begin PT school in August. She finishes school in a year, and can then pay for my schooling!

OP: Definitely look into the gov't payback options that are available. Not sure where they'll be in 3-5 years.

Yup!! I start in august too. I hope you can stay close to your wife. I think we're going to live apart for 3 years due to her job.

the majority of texas schools are around 30k tuition. the only one that isn't is UIW which is private and their program is 4 years
Angelo State's not, especially for Texas residents. From their website, the approximate program cost for entire three years based on 2013-2014 academic year (includes tuition, tuition differential, surcharge, fees, and textbooks – does not include cost for three clinical rotations and living expenses): Texas Resident - $39,922, Non Resident - $78,707.

For me, a $90k program (without any kind of financial assistance) isn't the right path :cool:
I felt the same way when I was looking at schools. That's why I decided to move to TX for PT school. Program costs are a lot lower than anywhere else I looked, and it seems that several TX programs offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students as scholarships, too.

Definitely an option, but like you said - it's scary plopping down 90k on the off-chance that I'll be 100% responsible for paying all of that back + interest.

Yup!! I start in august too. I hope you can stay close to your wife. I think we're going to live apart for 3 years due to her job.

3 years!! Thats rough. Best of luck to you. The most time we'll spend apart is 1 year, if any. Will definitely have to see how things play out. But, in the grand scheme of things, a small sacrifice to pay for a pretty descent future, I'd say!

Tuition is certainly increasing in general for the DPT, but there still are certain states/schools which offer very reasonable tuition rates. Texas has already been mentioned, North Carolina is another state w excellent in-state tuition rates (however, I've heard it's nearly impossible to establish in-state residency there if you're only there to be a student), and another example is NAU (Northern Arizona University), at which the in-state residency tuition is about 36k and for out of state it's about 50k (first year is out of state tuition and then you apply for in-state which is very easy to get in Arizona, the school also offers out of state tuition wavers for a select amount of students); the caveat to a school like NAU is that it's extremely competitive, especially if you aren't an AZ resident. I got in (CA resident) this year but there were something like 1300 applicants and 250 interviewed for around 80 total spots, with the majority going to in-staters.

In sum: if you do your research, have the stats, and prepare for your interviews, it's possible to find a good yet low tuition school.

It is not worth it...I have multiple friends over 170k in debt from pt and undergrad...all with an expected starting salary of 60k...all these people are doing the 25yr IBR plan....pt cost to debt makes no sense, UNLESS there is no other career you can see yourself doing, best of luck with your decision OP, I can tell you already are not ignorant to reality like many students are when they take on this kind of debt for minimal payoff....I'm amazed at some of the personalities I have met in grad school

It is not worth it...I have multiple friends over 170k in debt from pt and undergrad...all with an expected starting salary of 60k...all these people are doing the 25yr IBR plan....pt cost to debt makes no sense, UNLESS there is no other career you can see yourself doing, best of luck with your decision OP, I can tell you already are not ignorant to reality like many students are when they take on this kind of debt for minimal payoff....I'm amazed at some of the personalities I have met in grad school

and what career path did you choose?