question about the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who took the exam already. Do they let you have a piece of paper to work problems out? Also sometimes when I am doing the hole punching part for the DAT, I find it helpful to use a small sqaure piece of paper and fold it really quick for the hard one and those wierd twists. is that allowed???
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

fire said:
for those who took the exam already. Do they let you have a piece of paper to work problems out? Also sometimes when I am doing the hole punching part for the DAT, I find it helpful to use a small sqaure piece of paper and fold it really quick for the hard one and those wierd twists. is that allowed???
thanks in advance

My test center gave us pencils and paper (booklet containing about 6-8 paged - don't remember exactly) to work with. We weren't allowed to walkin with anything (lockers w/keys were provided to store our personal belongings outside). I'm pretty sure they don't have any rules about folding paper and all as long as it's using the paper provided, it should be fine. in between breaks, I was required to sign in and out, each of our testing stations had a camera above us, and during breaks we weren't allowed to take out our notes to review for the last two sections of the test. hope that helps.

fire said:
thanks in advance

Yes, they give you scratch paper. Whether or not you will be allowed to fold it is another matter as you are not allowed to hold it, or anything for that matter, up to the computer screen. I strongly urge you to get out of the habit of trying to recreate the folds on the screen with paper. Why? Because the whole purpose of the test is to measure your psychomotor skills and more importantly time is a real factor on that exam. Keep in mind you'll have the added pressure of taking the real deal and you'll soon find yourself with questions being thrown at you. You need to be able to look at a question and as quickly as possible come up with an answer and move on. I had a friend that tried to rely on such strategies as folding paper and he didn't get through all of the PAT before his time ran out and it really hurt his score. Study hard, and best of luck!

Sprgrover said:
Yes, they give you scratch paper. Whether or not you will be allowed to fold it is another matter as you are not allowed to hold it, or anything for that matter, up to the computer screen. I strongly urge you to get out of the habit of trying to recreate the folds on the screen with paper. Why? Because the whole purpose of the test is to measure your psychomotor skills and more importantly time is a real factor on that exam. Keep in mind you'll have the added pressure of taking the real deal and you'll soon find yourself with questions being thrown at you. You need to be able to look at a question and as quickly as possible come up with an answer and move on. I had a friend that tried to rely on such strategies as folding paper and he didn't get through all of the PAT before his time ran out and it really hurt his score. Study hard, and best of luck!

Definitely second this; try fold-unfold the squares mentally. With enough practice, you will master the technique. You can do it!