Question about the Fee Assistance Program (FAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the FAP allows you to waive application fees for a number of MD and DO schools, and I know I qualify since I received a fee waiver for the MCAT. I applied and received the FAP for the MCAT last November, and I was wondering if I needed to apply for a separate fee waiver for the application fees, or if the MCAT fee waiver will also allow me to waive fees for applications? Do I need to reapply for the FAP to get application fees waived, or is the MCAT fee waiver I received last Fall going to apply to application fees as well? I am applying this summer, so I REALLY hope that getting the MCAT fee waiver means that the application fees for this year are waived for me. If not, I'm screwed. :(

Members don't see this ad.

And if I do need to submit a second application for AMCAS, is it too late? :( I saw online that the deadline for 2012 was in December, but that sounds so late. Please tell me it's not too late. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You just need to complete another FAP application.

2012 means "matriculating in the fall of 2012". The 2013 app opens in a few weeks

So if I'm applying June/July 2012 and matriculating in 2013, I couldn't even have applied for the AMCAS fee waiver yet if I wanted to? When does the fee waiver application open for those potentially matriculating in 2013?

So if I'm applying June/July 2012 and matriculating in 2013, I couldn't even have applied for the AMCAS fee waiver yet if I wanted to? When does the fee waiver application open for those potentially matriculating in 2013?

Dude! Just reapply for FAP. You should be approved within 15 days. Come June 1st, you will be ready to apply to med schools (AMCAS) with the fee waiver.

The 2012 Fee Assistance Program is now open to MCAT® examinees and AMCAS® applicants.

Last edited:
Would I still get the FAP if I apply next week, after this Friday's MCAT? I want to focus on the MCAT for now, but I don't want the fee waivers to run out. :(

Lol I think I might be confused by what you mean by "applying". Do you mean applying to med school or applying for FAP?

I'm applying to med school this summer (June 2012), hopefully matriculating Fall 2013. Is it too late to apply to the FAP?

I guess I'm just stressed out about the MCAT on Friday and I'm not thinking straight. I just panicked when I remembered about the fee waiver program and thought it was too late for me, and I didn't want to have to deal with it before the MCAT this week.

I guess I'm just stressed out about the MCAT on Friday and I'm not thinking straight. I just panicked when I remembered about the fee waiver program and thought it was too late for me, and I didn't want to have to deal with it before the MCAT this week.

FAP is based on the calendar year. The year in which you receive a FAP award is the year for which it is valid. FAP is not valid for a year from the date it is awarded. For instance, if you receive a FAP award in June, it will be valid until December 31 of that same calendar year. You should only apply for FAP once per calendar year; the same FAP award includes all MCAT, MSAR®, and AMCAS benefits.

Does FAP count your parents' income even if they don't contribute to your own finances?

Does FAP count your parents' income even if they don't contribute to your own finances?

I wanted to know the same thing. I want to apply for FAP but I was not granted financial aide because my parents make more money than whatever the limit is for fin aid. However, I want to pay for med school apps on my own, and by myself, I would def make the cut to be granted the help. Is there any way to get around that?

I recieved the FAP. I am taking the MCAT next January. They told me to apply this year and it will cover everything in 2013. So the previous year is the only thing you need!:)

From what I have seen, yes. It doesn't make any sense to me though. I am married with kids and my parents don't even live on this continent but I still have to include them...,even though I am in no way financially dependent on them and they will not be paying for school..... :/