• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Question about the MCAT

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
  1. Post Doc
    I'm retaking the August MCAT but I can't remember from last year how heavy the organic chemistry was.

Would you guys recommend knowing the mechanisms for the reactions (well aside from knowing the difference between Sn1, Sn2 and the other famous examples)
    or should I just focus on knowing the end product of the reaction?

Basically I was thinking of just studying A+B = C and not worrying about the details.

What's your opinion?

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
    Jun 16, 2006
    The Dirty South
    1. Medical Student
      They seem to be fond of testing mechanisms by picking an atom, making it an isotope or simply marking it with an asterisk, then asking you where it will end up on the product(s) or where it came from on the reactant(s). You'll probably see one or two of these pop up on your exam, so don't completely ignore the details.

About the Ads

Caristra

10+ Year Member
      May 18, 2004
      www.facebook.com
      1. Medical Student
        Don't study the nitty gritty of every mechanism you have ever learned. If they chose a mechanism there is no gaurantee it will be one you studied. Instead focus on the braod concepts (like charge districution and molecule stability) that allow you to guess what mechanisms will look like. There was a random mechanism on my MCAT, I think it was some form of the Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky reaction. It wasn't something I studied, but it was fine, they drew a diagram of it in the passage.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.