Question about the NYU secondary character limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qnrnr

Reaction score
Hi. I was looking at the NYU secondary prompt and was surprised by how long the character count is, 5000 characters.
Are people really writing 2 pages?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I was looking at the NYU secondary prompt and was surprised by how long the character count is, 5000 characters.

Definitely not. I do not remember writing 2 pages when I was applying. Just write what you need to write and be to the point without being too redudant and you should be good! Good luck!

Yes, some people will be writing up to the character limit. It's not required. Also, don't write too little.

Previously, NYU had 4 questions and Why NYU question only had like 1000 or so characters. They scrapped all the other questions to have "Why NYU" as the only question in their secondary essay. So, it's really important that you write something profound and substantive for that question.

Also, because NYU is such a big school and has a lot of resources, you can find a lot of information about them online that will help you in crafting a good secondary essay.

Mine was a few paragraphs. Make sure you know what you’ve written for NYU’s secondary because they brought it up during my interview. Caught me off guard because no other school mentioned it. I had to play it off like I remembered what I wrote.

Reactions: 1 user