Question about the pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmp12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I even consider a career in pharmacy if I have no interest in retail pharmacy? I really like chemistry and learning about drugs but have absolutely no interest in retail pharmacy. I would never want to work at the retail store. My interest is in hospital, compounding, and specializing in diabetes or pain management. How hard is to get a job at these areas? Are these areas require more traning and schooling after the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I even consider a career in pharmacy if I have no interest in retail pharmacy? I really like chemistry and learning about drugs but have absolutely no interest in retail pharmacy. I would never want to work at the retail store. My interest is in hospital, compounding, and specializing in diabetes or pain management. How hard is to get a job at these areas? Are these areas require more traning and schooling after the school?

I'm on the same boat as you. According to BLS, "About 62 percent worked in community pharmacies that were either independently owned or part of a drugstore chain, grocery store, department store, or mass merchandiser."

That leaves you and I with exploring the other 38% of careers that pharmacists pursue. Seek out work experiences and internships in the areas that interest you during your time in pharmacy. So for your case, you should seek out clinical internships during your time in pharmacy school.

Check out the pharmacy forum - There are a few threads on there talking about Pharmacy students and Pharmacists who do things other than count by 5s at Wags all day.

There are also excellent Pharm.D/Ph.D concurrent programs, so if you have a sterling GPA and excellent ECs, that will certainly be an option for you. Since clinical, compounding, nuclear, etc. is all above average, you also need to be an above average applicant, and also, you'll want to seek an institution that can offer post-graduate residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who is a P1 who would kill himself if he got stuck in retail. There are plenty of other areas to work so I wouldn't worry about it too much. But, with the uncertainty of how many pharmacists vs jobs there will be in the future I spose its good to warn you that its possible you could end up doing retail even if its just for a while. Its not bad to not want to do retail but if you think you'd be completely miserable in it keep in mind you are eliminating one very big option. So I guess I'd think about it a little more but I for the most part don't really that its going to be that hard to find a hospital job. You might need to do a residency though.

I would completely be miserable if I end up in retail pharmacy. I guess independent retail pharmacy would be okay, but I would never want to work for the big chain retail pharmacies (wally world, wal greens, etc)
How hard is it to find the compounding job. Compounding would be my first choice.

There are TONS of careers besides retail and working in community pharmacy. When I was a pre-pharm I read this book by Pizer(I think that's how you spell it) that gives a list and description of many careers that one can do in pharmacy... If I hadn't read that book, I prob wouldn't have pursued pharmacy, b/c it showed that there's more to do than being behind the counter.. btw, there's 14o careers in pharmacy.

Toward the end of pharm school, do you just hit up career builder to try and find a clinical job (if you're hoping to avoid a residency)? And is there a match process for residencies or is it like applying for a job?
Finding a clinical job without a residency isn't impossible, but a residency definitely gives improves your chances of landing one. And as far as I am aware, there is a matching process for residencies, but you should check out the ASHP website for more info on that.

Toward the end of pharm school, do you just hit up career builder to try and find a clinical job (if you're hoping to avoid a residency)? And is there a match process for residencies or is it like applying for a job?

The match process for residencies is similar to that of medical school residencies. You rank the schools, they rank you, and every students' and schools' rank lists are stuck into a giant algorithm and everyone across the country is told where they match on the same day, same time. Its actually more complicated than that, and you could read up on it on the ashp website:

http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/

Makes wonderful bathroom reading.

There are TONS of careers besides retail and working in community pharmacy. When I was a pre-pharm I read this book by Pizer(I think that's how you spell it) that gives a list and description of many careers that one can do in pharmacy... If I hadn't read that book, I prob wouldn't have pursued pharmacy, b/c it showed that there's more to do than being behind the counter.. btw, there's 14o careers in pharmacy.

Not being an ass, but really? Its Pfizer, only the largest pharmaceutical company in the world. Aren't you a pharmacy student? BTW, you can get that guide for free online (its a little outdated but very informative, especially if you are just started looking into pharmacy):

http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/current/pfizerpharmacyguide.pdf

Not being an ass, but really? Its Pfizer, only the largest pharmaceutical company in the world. Aren't you a pharmacy student? BTW, you can get that guide for free online (its a little outdated but very informative, especially if you are just started looking into pharmacy):

http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/current/pfizerpharmacyguide.pdf

jeeezz, thanks for the spelling help.. I knew something didn't look right when I was typing that in. Btw good eye, that's the same book I was talking about. It's really good!

And ya, I'm a soon to be pharmacy student..

I am on the same page with you. It takes a special personality to be a retail pharmacist. There are plenty of pharmacist career options outside of retail. Most people go become hospital pharmacists (including those in administration/management). Some go for ambulatory/nuclear/compounding/investigational drug/drug information/medical liason/teaching...etc.

How hard is it to get those positions depends on your area. I live in the midwest and standards for those jobs increased a lot in the last few yrs. Hospital pharmacist and ambulatory care pharmacist genenally have 1-2 years year of residency. Medical liasons usually have residency or fellowship. Teach requires fellowship. Investigation drug/drug information doesn't necessary require residency, but related working experience or background. Nuclear/compounding do not require additional training after pharmacy school as long as you pick up as many rotations as you can in those areas your 4th year.

Good luck with your pursuit!