Question about the Physical Sciences Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passionformed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear many people complain about this section. Yet when they do, they usually complain about how the physics is confusing. Now I know there is also chemistry on this section. Why is this? Is there mostly physics and a little chemistry on this section, or is the chemistry straightforward? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one reason is that when people post about struggling on physics, that will naturally bring out more people that agree and post the same. This then builds into the other MCAT club threads because people close to their test date usually read the club threads of recent test takers.

I hear many people complain about this section. Yet when they do, they usually complain about how the physics is confusing. Now I know there is also chemistry on this section. Why is this? Is there mostly physics and a little chemistry on this section, or is the chemistry straightforward? Thank you.

I know I dread MCAT physics because I never learned it as well in class. My physics class was just write the formulas on a notecard, and straight plug n chug. I learned a very small amount of actual physics. And i think this is a common pattern in a lot of physics classes throughout the country. Physics professors are just not as good at teaching (huge generalization, I know).

cause 80% of the time most people didn't learn physics correctly (most physics teachers do a very poor job of explaining the simplest of concepts). 20% because some of the concepts are actually tough to think about. (anodes and cathodes on batteries and in capacitors, ex.)

Chemistry is also a bit more straight forward, it's all atoms and junk and the concepts behind it are usually easier to make sense of. I can easily understand why this many moles results from this many moles of reactant because it happens like that, but it's infinitely tougher to understand why in a circuit the current is the opposite of electron flow and represents + charge flow (no such thing as protons moving in a circuit), many physics concepts have to just be memorized as opposed to completely understood.

Thus the complaints toward physics and the lack of them for chemist.... I think