question about the second dat and application..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ficha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have 2 questions about dat and application..
1.I did not send my first DAT scores to some schools I want to apply.
I know I have to write my DAT score on the application(I am going to apply in May), but do I have to send first DAT score to them if my score is really not good enough for those schools?
(I am taking second dat in August and will send this score to every school I applied to.)

2. Can August DAT score be considered in the first cycle of interview if I apply in May?

Have a nice day!:)

Members don't see this ad.

i have read on sdn that if u tell them on ur app. that ur taking the dat in august that ur app. will go on hold until they recieve ur scores. however, wut i'd like to know is what if I indicate that i'm retaking dat on my aadsas, but still have my current dat scores sent to the schools im applying to...and then when i take the dat again, have the new scores sent to the schools as well........will they still put ur app. on hold if u have both sets of scores sent in, or only if u wait to send in just ur upcoming scores????????????

Basically, this is what I understand (truth or not...who knows)

On the application you need to tell them your scores and that you'll be retaking the DAT. However, the school isn't going to just trust your numbers on the AADSAS application for DAT scores. If the ADA did not directly send your DAT scores to the school, you will probably not be reviewed for an interview until those official scores arrive.

At the schools where you offically had our scores from the first DAT you took sent, you will be looked at. If your scores for the first DAT are okay for the school, they can offer you an interview despite the fact that you plan to retake the DATs. If the DAT scores are too low for that school, but you marked that you are retaking them, then they'll hold your file to review later. Most schools use DAT, residency, and GPA as markers to decide who to look at first. Just because you say you're retaking the DAT doesn't mean they won't review the file at all. But if your scores are really bad, then that initial review will just be to hold your file until your next set of scores comes in to the school.

In august, when you retake the DATs, the scores will get sent out again to whatever schools you decide. Those schools will then look at your application...although don't expect them to go running to find your application as soon as the scores come in...and review it then. It also doesn't hurt to call the school after you retake the DAT and tell them you just finished another DAT and that your scores are coming. Some schools are more open to talking directly to you and will ask unofficially what you got.

Depending on when in August you take the DAT and what schools you are talking about to get "first cycle" interviews...the answer is a definite maybe.

For schools that start offering earlier interviews like Case Western or UT schools, an August DAT isn't going to get you into the very first week of interviews. There is never a guarantee for early interviews no matter what your scores are and no matter when you turn stuff in, but august is a little late for some schools. For most schools? August is fine. You'll still get plenty enough interviews both before and after December 1st if your application sparks the interest of the ADCOMS

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, this is what I understand (truth or not...who knows)

On the application you need to tell them your scores and that you'll be retaking the DAT. However, the school isn't going to just trust your numbers on the AADSAS application for DAT scores. If the ADA did not directly send your DAT scores to the school, you will probably not be reviewed for an interview until those official scores arrive.

At the schools where you offically had our scores from the first DAT you took sent, you will be looked at. If your scores for the first DAT are okay for the school, they can offer you an interview despite the fact that you plan to retake the DATs. If the DAT scores are too low for that school, but you marked that you are retaking them, then they'll hold your file to review later. Most schools use DAT, residency, and GPA as markers to decide who to look at first. Just because you say you're retaking the DAT doesn't mean they won't review the file at all. But if your scores are really bad, then that initial review will just be to hold your file until your next set of scores comes in to the school.

In august, when you retake the DATs, the scores will get sent out again to whatever schools you decide. Those schools will then look at your application...although don't expect them to go running to find your application as soon as the scores come in...and review it then. It also doesn't hurt to call the school after you retake the DAT and tell them you just finished another DAT and that your scores are coming. Some schools are more open to talking directly to you and will ask unofficially what you got.

Depending on when in August you take the DAT and what schools you are talking about to get "first cycle" interviews...the answer is a definite maybe.

For schools that start offering earlier interviews like Case Western or UT schools, an August DAT isn't going to get you into the very first week of interviews. There is never a guarantee for early interviews no matter what your scores are and no matter when you turn stuff in, but august is a little late for some schools. For most schools? August is fine. You'll still get plenty enough interviews both before and after December 1st if your application sparks the interest of the ADCOMS

hey thanks for your help.....im still curious though....wut if, when i submit aadsas i have my current dat scores sent to all the schools im applying to and dont indicate on my app. that im going to retake (i def. wont have the cash to even apply for the dat until mid to late june).....then i could just the new scores in when I take the DAT, right? I know that sounds shady and thats not wut i really want to do.

wut i would rather do is send my old scores to all the schools when i submit aadsas and go ahead and indicate that ill be retaking dat in august.....so as long as they get both scores officially sent to them no one would put my file on hold....unless of course my current scores would earn me an automatic rejection, in that case they may wait for my new scores before rejection. Just want to clarify here, no school is just automatically going to put me on hold as long as i have both scores officially sent in, right???

thanks for your help

come on now, someone has got to be able to help me here, right?

thanks for the reply:)

I emailed one of the dental schools yesterday and they said that they won't necessarily hold my application just because I am goint to retake DAT later..
they look at everything on the application..( I think this implies if application looks ok then they would proceed it..)

thanks for the reply:)

I emailed one of the dental schools yesterday and they said that they won't necessarily hold my application just because I am goint to retake DAT later..
they look at everything on the application..( I think this implies if application looks ok then they would proceed it..)

yeah but does that apply only if you have your old scores sent to them from ada....thats my question here....do u have to have ur old DAT scores submitted in May (via ADA) when u submit AADSAS and then have your new scores sent to them as well after u retake the dat?

bringin it back...sry, but I had to do it:cool:

back to the top:idea:

yeah but does that apply only if you have your old scores sent to them from ada....thats my question here....do u have to have ur old DAT scores submitted in May (via ADA) when u submit AADSAS and then have your new scores sent to them as well after u retake the dat?

please, anyone who has any idea, please post anything

If you indicate you plan to retake the DAT the school will generally put the application on hold until they get the new scores. If your overall application looks like you won't be admitted regardless of DAT then they will reject you without the scores (but may possibly send you a secondary to collect the fee). Some schools won't reject you outright but you just won't hear anything back from them, ever. I'm still waiting to hear back from UIC for my application to start fall 2007.

You don't need to send your old DAT scores seperately when you first complete AADSAS. When your updated scores are done, ADA sends both sets of scores to whichever school you list. If, for some reason, you wanted your appliation to be considered with just your old scores then you could send your old scores out to match your early AADSAS without indicating a retest. Schools will not know you are retaking the DAT unless you tell them. Then, you retest and if your scores are poor you don't have them sent to the schools but your application is considered with your old scores. Plus, if your scores are good, you'll end up paying more to have the DAT scores sent since you won't be taking advantage of the having the first five scores sent for the price of the DAT.

If you indicate you plan to retake the DAT the school will generally put the application on hold until they get the new scores. If your overall application looks like you won't be admitted regardless of DAT then they will reject you without the scores (but may possibly send you a secondary to collect the fee). Some schools won't reject you outright but you just won't hear anything back from them, ever. I'm still waiting to hear back from UIC for my application to start fall 2007.

You don't need to send your old DAT scores seperately when you first complete AADSAS. When your updated scores are done, ADA sends both sets of scores to whichever school you list. If, for some reason, you wanted your appliation to be considered with just your old scores then you could send your old scores out to match your early AADSAS without indicating a retest. Schools will not know you are retaking the DAT unless you tell them. Then, you retest and if your scores are poor you don't have them sent to the schools but your application is considered with your old scores. Plus, if your scores are good, you'll end up paying more to have the DAT scores sent since you won't be taking advantage of the having the first five scores sent for the price of the DAT.

yeah, ur right...it will cost more but I will prob. have my old scores sent, then if i retake dat (dont even know for sure if im retaking) i will have those scores sent at a later date. I guess I just dont want to risk not sending my old scores if I'm not even sure if im retaking.....does that make sense?? I want them to have an official score so theres no chance of my app. being put in the hold stack......am I missing something here or would u do the same in my situation...thanks for the feedback, nice avatar

It seems like you should know whether or not your DAT is competitive. If you are going to retake then you really should be registered for it and studying right now. Last year I told the schools I was retaking and then retook it before the end of July. The extra pressure forced me to study more and schedule earlier than I would have done otherwise. However, if you really are on the fence and your DAT scores are respectable then it can't really hurt to submit early with old scores and not mention a retake. After all, you haven't really decided on a retake.

All that mentioning a retake on AADSAS will do is delay most rejection letters until the school gets the new scores. If you get incredible DAT scores then no application is too late. If you are mortal then, you'll need the benefit of an early application with respectable DAT scores. The early application isn't complete until your scores are on file.

It seems like you should know whether or not your DAT is competitive. If you are going to retake then you really should be registered for it and studying right now. Last year I told the schools I was retaking and then retook it before the end of July. The extra pressure forced me to study more and schedule earlier than I would have done otherwise. However, if you really are on the fence and your DAT scores are respectable then it can't really hurt to submit early with old scores and not mention a retake. After all, you haven't really decided on a retake.

All that mentioning a retake on AADSAS will do is delay most rejection letters until the school gets the new scores. If you get incredible DAT scores then no application is too late. If you are mortal then, you'll need the benefit of an early application with respectable DAT scores. The early application isn't complete until your scores are on file.

my scores are competitive but too old for BU...they want scores that are no older than 2 yrs.....everyone else is 3 yrs....but my scores could always be more competitive....BU doesn't even start interviewing until Novemberish so....thats my situation....

No problem. Have your old scores sent everywhere but BU. Have your new scores sent to BU when you test. If you do really well on the DAT then have them sent everywhere.

No problem. Have your old scores sent everywhere but BU. Have your new scores sent to BU when you test. If you do really well on the DAT then have them sent everywhere.

yeah but if i dont have them sent to BU then I would have to indicate on aadsas that im retaking, right?

If you don't mention it on AADSAS the schools with the scores should process your application when it is complete and have their secondary applications. BU will put it on hold until they get your scores. AADSAS will submit regardless of whether or not you fill out the DAT questions on the application. If for some reason they changed it for this year, then put in your old test date and do not indicate your retest. All of the schools will process the appliation when it is complete and BU will likely send you information about your need to retest. You could pre-emptively send an e-mail to BU indicating that you know you need to retest and that you have it scheduled for day X. That way you get the advantage of an early apps at every school but BU.