Question about theoretical orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McClinas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If all professors in a specific program affiliate themselves and their research with only CBT, is it safe to assume that you will not receive clinical training in psychodynamic therapy? Or, is this simply an expression of their research and their clinical training is independent? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well considering that your professors will not be the ones providing clincial training during your extenships and practicum experiences, (except for maybe your time at the university clinic), I would say no.

Most people find that clinical superviors influence their clincial skill development and their orientations/opinions toward therapy much more than any of their programs professors.

But if you are interested in psychodynamic theory and practice(even if it's not your specific research interest), shouldn't you avoid schools that don't have psychodynamic-affiliated faculty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily. I dont have anyone on faculty here that is psychodynamic at all (well maybe one, but i dont really know him), but this is the bay area after all....lots if diverse practicum settings/opportunties.

This might be harder though if you were in say...Lawrence, Kansas though.

Not necessarily. I dont have anyone on faculty here that is psychodynamic at all (well maybe one, but i dont really know him), but this is the bay area after all....lots if diverse practicum settings/opportunties.

This might be harder though if you were in say...Lawrence, Kansas though.
What did Kansas ever do to you?! :D

You need to decide how important training in that area is for your educational goals. For some people exposure to a couple of different orientations is enough, but for others they want to work in-depth with different orientations. If your primary interest is psychodynamic therapy, it'd be a tough situation to land at a CBT-only program.

I would call the program and ask about opportunities to gain exposure in psychodynamic therapy. They may have some training opportunities off site, though I wouldn't count on this if it is your primary area of interest.

Our program is very behavioral / CBT oriented, however my roommate just practiced the Rorschach (I know I spell that wrong) on me. Although the majority of our faculty don't believe in projective testing we are still exposed to it from outside sources.

So, what do you think about this?

I think that if you already have a clear dynamic orientation, it will be hard to get into a CBT only program, if only because there will be many other impressive applicants just like you, but who share the same orientation as the program.

Having said that, if you're open to multiple orientations, there may be opportunities for you to train in both, depending on the kind of practica and supervisors you are exposed to. My program is CBT but several folks have done primarily dynamic externships and have had dynamic supervisors.

Our program is very behavioral / CBT oriented, however my roommate just practiced the Rorschach (I know I spell that wrong) on me. Although the majority of our faculty don't believe in projective testing we are still exposed to it from outside sources.

I wouldnt really categorized the modern day rorschach as psychodynamic clinical training. One can certianly weave alot of dynamic BS into its intepreation if they want, but exners system is pure behavioral correlates based on normative data. Flawed normative data, but still. Correlates also being a key term there.

double post

Last edited:
But if you are interested in psychodynamic theory and practice(even if it's not your specific research interest), shouldn't you avoid schools that don't have psychodynamic-affiliated faculty?

Maybe not avoid, but I'd prefer a program with at least some faculty with that theoretical orientation. Yes, you can get rounded out by supervisors on the outside. But who really wants to spend 5-6 yrs in a program where your interests are not shared and supported?

I am aware of this. I don't think I actually said that the Rorschach was psychodynamic. I chose my words carefully so as not to confused the two. I said projective testing. None the less, I was simply giving an example of doing testing in an external placement that your particular program doesn't teach you in assessment II. But I appreciate it:)

I wouldnt really categorized the modern day rorschach as psychodynamic clinical training. One can certianly weave alot of dynamic BS into its intepreation if they want, but exners system is pure behavioral correlates based on normative data. Flawed normative data, but still. Correlates also being a key term there.