Question about "ties" to a state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I have long term relocation plans to move to Vermont and have a small hobby farm. We currently live in a completely different part of the country and realize that is likely not happening until I'm done medical training, but we want to start on things as early as possible.

We had the idea recently of buying some land and building a small seasonal cottage on it so that he could stay and build up the land for a couple months in the summer and we can vacation there each year until we can build a larger permanent home once I'm done. The process of building soil and learning your land can take years, so we'd hate to be essentially 10 years behind if we can help it. We've also both done small building construction before so this is a pretty reasonable project in terms of skill and logistics.

I realize that merely owning land and a small cottage in a state doesn't make me a resident, but would ties like this and long-term plans to become a resident weigh much in terms of applying to UVM for example? Tia!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, and for as long as I can remember, Vermont has been friendly to OOS applicants so owning land might not make you an even more attractive candidate. That said, having some knowledge of Vermont and wishing to live their long term might gain you some traction if you get as far as the interview.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree you need to check with the rules regarding residency, but if you legally own the land and pay property taxes, you might have an argument. Asking admissions might help before applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, both of you. I am aware that UVM is luckily friendly to OOS and will def be pursuing them as much as possible. I spent a lot of time there as a kid and really just love the state and hope to be there long-term. Wish me luck. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Owning a home in the state, and planning to ultimately live there, is definitely a connection, but why not move there now?

Owning a home in the state, and planning to ultimately live there, is definitely a connection, but why not move there now?
Mostly it seems extremely financially irresponsible to sell my house in FL to buy one in VT then potentially have to move in a year if I don't get into UVM, haha. If I wasn't applying to med school for like five years I totally would.

Reactions: 5 users