Question about Touro NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a new school, so I was wondering what is it's reputation? Is it a good school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's a new school, so I was wondering what is it's reputation? Is it a good school?

"Good" is a complex label when it comes to choosing a medical school. Search around for people's feedback on the site, but some things you might want to consider are:

1) Location
2) Strength and structure of the curriculum
3) Structure of your clinical years
4) USMLE pass rate
5) ranking if you care.

Members don't see this ad :)

Really poor first two years (Though admittedly the second class 1st time pass rate was 88%, so thats not bad at all considering it was our second class ever to take it). They've been bending over backwards to get the academia to kick it up quite a few notches. examples:

hiring out kaplan teachers part time and full time to work with us outside of the normal class time on a semester long focused review (and one to teach physio in the future).

Poaching...er... hiring the doctors from the allopathic schools in the area (columbia, cornell, einstein). Generally, DO schools pay a lot better than allo schools.

discussing all the policies out there with us to try to gauge our opinion and find out which ones we feel are hindering our learning and which ones are helping our learning. So that we can best cater our education format. (note: we dont dictate everything and occasionally are overruled, but they definitely sit down to discuss and theoretically changing almost anything).

Great facilities. Thats just a perk of being so new.

an additional month of *live* kaplan lectures after the semester ends is built into our tuition (they are considering switching programs as the contract ends this year, but an equally 'unique' deal will be struck no matter what. theyre adamant about getting an in person deal).

oh and being in NYC is pretty damn awesome.

but all of that is definitely balanced against the "first two years didnt do well on the boards" end of this. I can tell you, and mean it with all of my heart, that 2011 and 2012 might as well have gone to a whole different school than 2013 and 2014 go to. But as of right now they are the only two classes out there doing clinicals and having board scores on record. It is just a fact. I think we're on a very fast upward movement and overtaking the lower level and some mid-level schools. Go visit and decide for yourself. I think the amount of effort they are putting into making this school go places quickly is a selling point.

Hey Doc, might as well copy and paste that for all future posts. No need to tire out those fingers of yours.

Hey Doc, might as well copy and paste that for all future posts. No need to tire out those fingers of yours.

aren't you supposed to be assessing some patients hypothyroidism? (I actually dont know what the case is. Kernis hasn't told us yet).

but yes. That is good advice.