question about traveling to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waiting123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to book my plane ticket to a school I need to interview at, but I found that the ticket is about four hundred dollars more if I do not arrive on a saturday for a tuesday interview (this is for univ of cincinnati). Although I am going to try to move the interview to monday, I was wondering how long you guys usually stay in the city when interviewing? Also, do you guys just spend one night with a student host? Also, for those who have interviewed at SUNY Brooklyn, which airport is closer, LA Guardia or JFK? I tried getting travel info about Brooklyn on interview feedback but it seems that everyone was from new york and did not have to fly in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that I have spent no more than a full day in the city that I was interviewing and usually only stay one night with a student host, since it is probably an inconvenience for them. If you were in a fun city (eg, NYC), you may consider staying longer, but if its someplace thats kinda dreary , I wouldn't stay that long

If you were from the area, you know never to fly into CVG just because the prices are outrageous. Since I am from Cincinnati, I usually fly out of Louisville or Dayton, not a far drive, an hour and a hour and a half, and it is usually half the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
When i went on one interview, I stayed from thursday night to sunday morning because my flight would have been 500 more bucks. If you can't stay with a host for that long (which you probably wouldn't want to) three nights in a hotel will be cheaper than 400 bucks. Take a load off and get some studying done in peace and quiet.

I agree with Nikki. I was faced with the same situation with my interview for MCW. I could save over $400 by staying 2 extra nights. I figure I could hang out and check out the area where I potentially could be spending 4 years of med school. Besides, the savings from airfare is more than hotel and other expenses. I have not be out of town lately, so it will be a mini vacation.
Good Luck-Rob

While I've only had 2 interviews, I can say that I too have never spent more than one day in the city where I was interviewing and no more than one night with a student host. Also, one of my interviews was at UC, and I flew in and out of Columbus (but I did do my Ohio State interview on that same trip).