Technology Question about TV/computer monitors

Started by vanelo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vanelo

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey again!!!

The other day I saw the flat monitors that work both as a computer monitor and TV. Any of you have any info or experience with that type of monitor?

Thanks for any help... 😀
 
I just bought a LCD flat screen 30 inch that I have my computer hooked up to. It acts as both a HDTV and a computer monitor. Pretty sweet. A little on the expensive side. There are cheaper 20 inch sets out there that will also have dual functionality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have two Dell 20" LCD screens for my computers. These things have the usual VGA and DVI inputs, but also S-video inputs and I think composite connectors as well. So you could easily use one of these as a TV.
 
I own a 17" SVA LCD monitor that works as both a TV and a computer monitor. It has composite, S-video, coaxial cable, and VGA inputs. I am very pleased with it's picture quality, especially since it's the cheapest 17" LCD there is. It also looks pretty sweet hanging on my wall in my bedroom. Best thing about it -- only $279.
 
Be careful when buying one of these TV/PC monitors. If it doesn't support HDCP, within the next two years you may find that you have a nice computer monitor that you can't watch a damn thing on from broadcast TV/cable TV and sooner rather than later, DVDs/High Def. DVDs.
 
InfiniteUni said:
Be careful when buying one of these TV/PC monitors. If it doesn't support HDCP, within the next two years you may find that you have a nice computer monitor that you can't watch a damn thing on from broadcast TV/cable TV and sooner rather than later, DVDs/High Def. DVDs.
Actually, if the US appellate courts have their way, the FCC will lose it's ability to enforce the broadcast flag, which would be just fine and dandy with me. The FCC is overstepping it's authority ever since Michael Powell took over. Hopefully, now that he's gone it'll be a less Big-Brotherish agency.