Question about undergrad major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontbam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm new here and i'm applying for this year's cycle. I was wondering if your undergraduate major is something important the admissions panel looks for? I'm currently a biochemistry major but i would like to switch to biology so that i can graduate on time (i'd need to stay an extra quarter to finish the last biochem lab).

Does anyone think that your major is important or it really doesn't matter? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i would go for it, especially if it would make such a difference as to affect your graduation time. just try not to switch around too much cause THAT might look odd.

as long as you fulfill the dental prereqs i don't think dental schools really care what your undergrad major is

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i changed to a biochemistry major 2 years ago and now i wanted to add a math major just because I didn't want to graduate early. HOw many credits is the biochem and bio major at your college? (Mine is 72 for biochem and 60 for bio)

hey, we're on quarter system i'm not sure exactly how many units we need for bio or biochem (it depends on what upper division classes you take), but compared to regular biology biochem has an extra 2 upper division classes and 2 extra lower div classes.

Yeah i just wanted to graduate this spring quarter rather than stick around and pay $1000 bucks for a 3rd organic lab...hah