Step I Question about uWorld Self assessments

Started by Suture15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Suture15

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello folks.

This question may have been asked in the past, so apologies, I couldn't find anything similar.

Anyways on to the question. Does anyone know why uworld gives a higher 3 digit score for a lower raw score than the nbme self assessments? So for e.g. an 80% on uworld SA would be around 250 whereas you need near 90% on nbme for that.

I know there are statistics, bell curves etc, but is there a simpler reason? Are uworld questions just considered "harder" so the average score on a SA (say 65%) is made 220 or something?

Any help is appreciated. Good luck studying!
 
From my experience i found the uworld practice tests were harder than NBMEs and the actual test so the higher scores just reflected a lower average like you said. The Uworld tests were also incredibly predictive...my actual score was only a point or 2 off from my average UW test score
 
From my experience i found the uworld practice tests were harder than NBMEs and the actual test so the higher scores just reflected a lower average like you said. The Uworld tests were also incredibly predictive...my actual score was only a point or 2 off from my average UW test score

Ah that's good to hear. Were your NBMEs close to your uworld tests though? Because I suppose that would eliminate the range for you in a way anyway.
 
I only took one nbme, which was the CBSSA (red light green light test). I dont remember my score or the 3 point conversion for that test so Im not sure if it was accurate. I only used that as a reference for whether i was ready or not.