Question about VCU Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silkworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last question on VCU Secondary is: Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education.

There two way of interpreting "lapses":

1. a break
2. mistakes (bad GPA)

It seems they mean a break, but I can't be sure. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

silkworm said:
The last question on VCU Secondary is: Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education.

1. a break
2. mistakes (bad GPA)

I interpreted it as breaks last summer. It didn't hurt the app.

silkworm said:

1. a break
2. mistakes (bad GPA)

And I took it as bad grades, and it didn't hurt me! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, maybe they intentionally left it ambiguous.

I took "lapses" to mean semesters/quarter when I was not continuously enrolled in college (not counting summers).

For the following question:

The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

I am having a tough time deciding what to write. Should I write somethings on the lines of describing myself? Or a particular topic I am interested in--Social Justice (I just finished my MPH, so I am pretty interested in the topic). Also, I am a die hard Cubs fan, I was thinking maybe write about that?

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated it!

DrVanNostran said:

The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

I am having a tough time deciding what to write. Should I write somethings on the lines of describing myself? Or a particular topic I am interested in--Social Justice (I just finished my MPH, so I am pretty interested in the topic). Also, I am a die hard Cubs fan, I was thinking maybe write about that?

Bumpage :D

DrVanNostran said:

Is this for the VCU secondary?

This might be a good opportunity to tie yourself into the school, but as long as you follow their directions, any of those things you listed sound ok. (I think the Cubs thing might be risky, but sounds fun :) )

ironmanf14 said:
Is this for the VCU secondary?

This might be a good opportunity to tie yourself into the school, but as long as you follow their directions, any of those things you listed sound ok. (I think the Cubs thing might be risky, but sounds fun :) )

Thanks for the input, I wrote this essay just now on Social justice and how I think becoming a physician can help promote social justice within the health care system...to be honest I wrote it for the Georgetown secondary, but all I would have to do is change one paragraph and talk about how VCU addresses these issues specifically.

I was going to talk about being a die-hard cubs fan and how living in Chicago and going to baseball games helped me mature. If you aren't familiar, the Cubs just suck always except for a bright spor here and there, but it helped me develop loyolties, persistence, and being on the north side for a game was really fun because of the diverse crowd...I was going to go on about that.

The decisions, I really like VCU too :D

DrVanNostran said:
Thanks for the input, I wrote this essay just now on Social justice and how I think becoming a physician can help promote social justice within the health care system...to be honest I wrote it for the Georgetown secondary, but all I would have to do is change one paragraph and talk about how VCU addresses these issues specifically.

I was going to talk about being a die-hard cubs fan and how living in Chicago and going to baseball games helped me mature. If you aren't familiar, the Cubs just suck always except for a bright spor here and there, but it helped me develop loyolties, persistence, and being on the north side for a game was really fun because of the diverse crowd...I was going to go on about that.

The decisions, I really like VCU too :D

Trust me, I can relate.....i'm a Phillies fan :laugh:

ironmanf14 said:
Trust me, I can relate.....i'm a Phillies fan :laugh:

:laugh: We both were supposed to have awesome years lol. Abreu might be on his way out to New York! Us National Leagures go through a lot of pain :p