Question about VERY unusual cat pregnancy

Started by rph3664
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rph3664

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I follow several feline rescue-cams, and one of them currently features a semi-feral cat who late last week gave birth to a single live kitten, along with two nonviable (premature with visible defects) kittens and a placenta with an empty sac, which the "rescuer" had never seen before. 😢

The live kitten is not feeding adequately or gaining weight, so the rescuer took it to the vet for a tube feeding. This kitten perked up, at least for now, and to everyone's surprise, the mother gave birth to a surprise kitten on the way home - a chubby little female that is already out-eating her twin. :wideyed:

I realize you can't give medical advice here, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever encountered anything like this. That veterinarian sure hadn't; IDK if they have x-rayed the mother to see if anyone else is still hiding in there. :cat:
 
The sick kitten died around the time I started this thread. 🙁 I wasn't surprised, in large part because the mother wasn't all that interested in caring for it. I did, however, keep that to myself on the message board.
 
I went post-diving on myself and found this thread. Both mother and daughter were adopted by the same family, after they were spayed, and both are doing well. 🙂