Question about Vet Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eshark83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. Background on me: I am a semi non-traditional student. I decided to complete my BS in Computer Information Technology from Purdue and then finish the prereqs at the end of the degree. This gave me a backup plan in case I did not get in during the first round of applications to vet school, and a job to work that would provide for myself and my wife in the interim. I am now completing the prereqs necessary for vet school and have a GPA of 3.85.

I have a question about the vet experience hours that are required for vet school applicants. I have about 2,000 hours of experience in emergency vet medicine working as a veterinary assistant, and about 500 hours of animal experience working at our humane society however that has been a few years ago. I am now wanting to get a bit more current experience while finishing my prerequisites (I am paying out of pocket so the process is slow) and was wondering if things like vaccine clinics (working with a vet of course) would look "good" on an application? I work full-time in IT while finishing the prereqs but this would be something I could do on the weekends and during the day before work. I am planning to shadow as well, but was wondering if something like this is generally recommended or shy'd away from?

Thanks for any advice :) It has been wonderful to come across this resource during this ride!

Members don't see this ad.

Any sort of experience is good! Vet and animal experience are great, but the best thing you can try to do is diversify your experiences across the species. You said you graduated from Purdue, do you still live in the area?

Agreeing with Gwen here, I don't think any type of vet experience is necessarily "better" than any other on an application. There may be experience you'll enjoy more or find more useful, but that's all personal preference! If you can get some large animal, food animal, exotics, or zoo experience that would help diversify your experience further.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I am further south now, near Indianapolis, so unfortunately Purdue is about 3 hours away. Getting my prereqs done through Indiana University at their IUPUI campus. We have a large animal vet pretty close to me though that works with a horse racing facility, I have been considering looking into shadowing there as I know one of his technicians pretty well. I don't have any personal experience with large animals yet so I'll definitely try to get some under my belt for diversification.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies! I am further south now, near Indianapolis, so unfortunately Purdue is about 3 hours away. Getting my prereqs done through Indiana University at their IUPUI campus. We have a large animal vet pretty close to me though that works with a horse racing facility, I have been considering looking into shadowing there as I know one of his technicians pretty well. I don't have any personal experience with large animals yet so I'll definitely try to get some under my belt for diversification.
That sounds like a great opportunity, you should definitely look into it