Question about Vet Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backwoods Boy

Veritas vos liberabit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would first like say hello to everyone. My name is Austin and I am from Southern Illinois. I started college this past year and I am studying at SIU. I currently am listed as a Pre-Pharmacy student but I have realized that is not what I want to do. I was in it for the wrong reason. After spring break, I am immediately setting up and advisement meeting so I can change my study to Zoology and switch over to Pre-Vet as the pre-reqs are different. I am also considering trying to minor in either Animal Science or Environmental Studies (director is also one of the zoology advisors). While I would love to double major with Business, I don't know if I could pull it off. I probably could but I'm sure ya'll realize what I am saying.

Here is what I want to know. My first semester and early this semester I really screwed up. I had my study habits from high school. You know the one where you cram at the last second? Yeah, that one. Well I have realized that part of the reason I was doing that was the fact I didn't feel motivated. How hard will this mistake affect me? Just so you know my GPA was just north of 2.0 :scared: and I am planning on retaking some of them. My only A was in my Honor's English class (94 ;)).

My other question is fairly simple. Where I live, there are limited work experience opportunities. I know I could shadow a couple vets in the area and possibly volunteer. Also, I might be able to volunteer at one of the local animal shelters. I have been around large animals of and on for most of my life (big farm area here and several neighbor's have cattle, I have helped out before) and I have always been around horses and currently help take care of the two we own now. While this may all sound fine, will the lack of research and exotic experience hurt my chances of getting into a vet school? I know where I want truly want to go but I currently don't like my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if you rock the rest of your college experience grade wise, then your lower first semester/year won't hurt you all that much. That you have large animal experience is great and I think maybe getting some small animal clinical experience would help as well.

Since you're only a freshman now and are switching majors, it should be fairly easy for you to get involved in a research project at some point in the next three years if you feel its something you're interested in.

But all in all, I don't think one bad year will hurt you too much. Don't feel too discouraged yet, just get back in there and kick ass in the rest of your classes :)

What's funny is that it is Chemistry that tends to kill me. I took Trig last semester (was supposed to take Algebra but with my ACT score they put me in Trig). Chemistry was never a big deal for me until college. I do great in labs but in lecture I do terrible :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you shadow a vet who also deals with exotics and small animal? Or find a clinic that sees all pets, and follow different vets around. That way you can fit that in there too.

Like the previous poster replied, don't sweat the lack of experience. A lot of people make the decision to go pre-vet way later in their lives (like in their 30s, haha), so you are still ahead of the game. You can still definitely get in a few years of research experience while in school, just ask your professors if you can get in on their projects (you'll have a LOR to top it off too). Maybe look for work at an animal hospital...you'll likely have to start as a poo cleaner, but it's something. Just work your way up and ask lots of good questions. You may have to start volunteering before they realize that you're a good worker.

I wouldn't worry so much about the GPA thing. If you work hard the rest of your college career (and make up some of those grades) this definitely shows improvement, and (for me at least) once you get into your major's upper divs it'll get easier because you're interested in what you're learning, as opposed to chemistry (which has not failed to screw me over and haunt me for the last four years). Good luck :thumbup:

Hi there :hello:

I recommend that you definitely get in contact with those shelters, because they will generally have an affiliation with area veterinarians that you may not know about. They may also have a vet tech/assistant volunteer/paid position that you could work your way toward.

If Illinois is your first choice, they know how rancid Chemistry can be. ;)
I wouldn't make it a habit, though. A first year mess up can be overcome, but you'll need to work to get that gpa back up to the average for admission.

Trust me, I am sure not trying to make a habit out of it. As far as the exotic, SA experience with vet clinics goes, my nearest vet does do general work but in this area, they mainly deal with large animals. Other than that, it's cats and dogs.

LA and cats and dogs are just fine.

You may want to check with your college about weekend experience trips, internships, research programs, summer trips, or study abroad. They want you to have tried the different areas of veterinary medicine out. They don't need you to have worked in all of them for an extended period of time. Usually, a weekend shadowing a vet from another town or state, will let the ad comm know that you tried it out and it may or may not have been your thing.

Ahh. I thought they meant that you actually should have some experience in the field. I think I could probably get some research involving exotics within the next year or so.