Question about Voltage in Ireland....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzylique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any of you from canada.... goign to ireland!

I will be going to ireland in the fall... and i have a laptop computer.. with i blieve 120v for voltage... I hear ireland has a voltage of 220v?? IS it possible to use my computer in ireland??

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of computer do you have? Best bet is to contact the manufacturer and ask if it is possible to purchase a power supply for use in Britain/Ireland.

But, you can first check on the power supply itself, if it can be used in Ireland it'll say 120V-240V 50/60Hz. If not, don't risk that you'll get it over there and it'll explode on ya!

If it can be used over there, just get a simple plug adapter that has an end like this . Don't bother with the expensive voltage adapters, they may not work with your computer anyway and are a bit bulky to be carrying around.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah i can't check my voltage on my comptuer since i don't have it yet... I plan to order it before i go to ireland!
I plan on getting a dell....
SHouldn't be much of a problem eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
There certainly are a lot of Dells in Ireland so i wouldn't worry. Have you priced it out in Euro as well? I assume it's cheaper to buy in Canada but you might want to look into service, ie, will your Canadian warranty allow you to take it to an Irish dealer? Just some things to consider....

Most notebooks come with a converter already attached to the adapter (that large bulky rectangular thing somewhere along your adapter cord) because they realize that people with notebooks travel outside of North America :).. All you need is a plug adapter as your computer's converter will automatically step down the voltage for you. The one that Ireland uses is the same as the British plug.

Ireland is 220V.

Any modern electronics are fine. Certainly any new laptop works. You won't need a voltage converter - just a cheap adaptor that you can pick up at a electronics store or the airport.

Recently though, they've stopped selling adaptors in Ireland that will take the two-pronged american plugs (the one's without the ground). They are more of a safety risk but it's really annoying to modify these things to take the two pronged ones as well. I think I might start up an internet business to do it!

As sage said, with most modern electronics (especially laptops), you will not need a converter. They are made to be able to use any voltage/wattage in any country. Same with ipods, digital cameras, pda's, etc. Just make sure the plug says input: 100-240 V.

hey guys,

on the subject of computers, i thought i read somewhere a while ago that you have to be running XP professional to connect to the network (at trinity that is). can anyone confirm this?

thanks!

misspiggy28 said:
hey guys,

on the subject of computers, i thought i read somewhere a while ago that you have to be running XP professional to connect to the network (at trinity that is). can anyone confirm this?

thanks!

Yup, that's correct. You need XP Professional to connect your laptop to the wired or wireless networks in Trinity. You can get XP Pro with a student licence from micromail.com for about 100 euro.

Hey what's the wireless coverage like on TCD campus?

I take it the wireless connection is like most universities, ie. not secure with no encryption?

not sure about encryption, but it's not steal-able anyway. Not really sure how useful wireless will be for you cuz at the moment, it's not really offered in that many places where you'll be spending a substantial amount of time. If you're living on campus, you might as well just hook through the cable. And for those wanting XP Pro why don't you borrow from a friend and save yourself the 100 bucks. I suppose i really shouldn't be advocating that.