Question about Volunteering activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about volunteering. I knit afghans, and baby things, aswell as things for children and adults. If I do knitting and donate my items is this considered a type of volunteering, and when the time comes can I stick it in my PS?

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider it volunteering, but I'm not sure how the adcoms would evaluate something like that because it may not be documented. I volunteered abroad for a while, and while doing my research it seemed that programs exist out there for every type of volunteering one could think of. It might be worth looking for a program that you can work through that can be traced and is considered a legitimate program. That's just what I would try to do if I were you. It may not even be necessary...good luck!

I have a question about volunteering. I knit afghans, and baby things, aswell as things for children and adults. If I do knitting and donate my items is this considered a type of volunteering, and when the time comes can I stick it in my PS?

I also believe this would be hard to prove if you have nothing in writting. If you are very keen on putting this in your PS, make sure you know someone at the workshop/program/organization that you are donating to, in a manner that you can reference them. And you'd prob have to list in the AACOMAS too to back it up. A volunteer position isn't hard to get... but its your call.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't put this in your personal statement... This is something that would be easy to find in your application, therefore it wouldn't really add anything to your personal statement per se... In your PS try to embelish on those things outside of your application, meaningful events in your life that would make you a more compassionate physician, etc.