question about waitlist at RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littledoc2be

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When they go to take students off the waitlist, do they just take the top x number of people, or do they go back to your file and have another committee meeting and decide? Would another recommendation help now once I am on the waitlist, or when spots free up, will they just take the top 10 people on the waitlist, for example?

RWJ is my number #1 choice and I am dying to go there. I am in the top half of the waitlist (the "right" list, as they put it). Is there anything else that I could do now to help myself? I just feel that they have reviewed me already and obviosuly decided that they are not sure if I am worthy enough to attend so they put me on the waitlist. If spots open up on the waitlist and if the committee reviews me again, they might feel the same way again.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't provide you with details, but I will say that the majority (almost all) of the waitlist movement happens after May 15th. If you are on the top half of the list I think you have a very good change of gaining an acceptance at a later date. When I applied to medical school I was still waiting in mid-May to hear from my first choice about whether or not I was in, waitlisted, or rejected. Needless to say, I kept myself on all of my waitlists in case their answer was no. I stayed on waitlists at three schools (one of which was RWJ b/c I'm from NJ). In the third week of May I received my acceptance packet from UCSF and the next day I went on vacation for a week. I was so elated about my acceptance, and busy packing, that I forgot to remove myself from the three waitlists. When I got home, RWJ and another school had left messages offerring my acceptances. When I called them back to thank them, I was under the impression that after the May 15th deadline, they began calling people off of their waitlist. If you are on the top half, I would think that you have a very good chance! Keep your head up.

Long story short....you have to patiently wait until things start moving. If it is your number one choice, I would definitely let them know that by way of some sort of letter of intent.

I have already sent them a letter of intent, even before I received an answer from them. I have called a few times so they definitely know me, but I don't want to call too often because I don't want to be a pest. what was the date (around) when you received your acceptance call?

any ideas on if the committee meets again when they accept students off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
come on...someone has to know something

littledoc2be,

I don't know about RWJ, but all the med schools that put me on their waitlists indicated in the letter that any supplemental info would be helpful. So if you think that anything will get you a little more noticed I would go for it.

Having said that, from my experience most schools dip pretty deep into their waitlists. So I am sure you will get in.

Also, waitlists continue to move well after May 15. I was accepted to Creighton about a week and a half before classes started because I forgot to remove myself from their waitlist after having been accepted by another school.