Question about when to retake the MCAT for the third time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimmerfredette

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am pretty new to SDN, so if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know and I will take care of it.

So, long story short, I took the MCAT May 2021, got an unbalanced 509 and applied to medical schools. I did not get accepted to any, and I studied hard and learned from my MCAT taking mistakes (averaged around a 515 on my AAMC full lengths), and took it again on March 12. I am planning on signing up for another one because 1) I don't feel great about my March 12 MCAT, and 2) this was my original plan haha. I am continuing to study for the MCAT now, and when I get my score back on April 12, if it ends up being good, I will cancel the other MCAT.

My question is if I take the MCAT on June 4, will that make it so I am not early in the application cycle (I also want to apply to Texas schools, which I understand opens earlier than AMCAS)? I want to take it on May 27, but the dates are all full. Should I wait and see if something opens up? I really want to knock this application out of the park, so I am doing all I can this time to get it right.

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
June 4th will be fine for AMCAS- as long as you get your secondaries in by mid-late August, you'll be considered 'early.'

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

dont retake the mcat until you do a WAMC

a 509 isnt necessarily keeping you out

Just to second what was already said, you will not be late. As far as AMCAS goes you can actually submit your primary application and start the review process before you get your MCAT score back. A 509 is a fairly competitive score and should at least get you a few interviews with a well made school list, decent GPA, and no red flags. Have you evaluated the entirety of your app / consulted with anyone else on it? Make sure you don't fall into the trap of thinking your MCAT score is the only reason you didn't find success! Feel free to PM me if you have further questions/are interested in having a second pair of eyes look over your application.