Question about work experience and ec's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vividvirgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in an outpatient rehabilitation/sports medicine facility and work alongside physical therapists along with 2 orthos. I'm 21 and work 30 hrs a week as a receptionist, and working here was what made me want to become a doctor and made me become very interested in the osteopathic field. I see a lot on a regular basis. I have a good relationship with the providers and they have agreed to write me LOR's. My concern was that although I work in a clinical setting, I don't get to do anything hands on with the patients that come in. Also, I don't have any other ec's under my belt because I work very long hrs (my family's financial situation is the reason behind this) and have little time to do much else (ie research).Am I at a disadvantage because of this? Is there anything else I should do to improve my application? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

- In your application, stress the fact that you had to work (schools will understand that you couldn't do a lot of ECs because of your work situation -- but they won't know unless you stress it). don't present it as an excuse, just highlight what you did at your job, how long you worked, how it fits in with your family situation, and how it ties in to your clinical experience.

- along those lines, because you are not the "typical" premed, I would figure out what makes you special and different from the other applicants and highlight that in your application.

- as far as clinical experience, this is your chance to be proactive. you have a unique opportunity. ask the PTs and doctors to shadow them when you are not on the clock. ask the doctors if they have connections to other doctors you could shadow. what you want is an opportunity to observe patients and the doctor's interaction with them. ask yourself how the experience made you a more compassionate person, and how it contributed to your desire to become a doctor.

- you are at a disadvantage, and will most likely be placed in the disadvantaged category, which is a more forgiving category. this means that the more research heavy schools will forgive your lack of research if they see you have something else to offer as student.

- there will be students applying who have perfect grades, AND worked many hours, did research, have excellent MCAT scores, go to a top school, have great leadership skills, etc. etc. so, although you have to work a lot, don't use that as an excuse for mediocrity either.

Seems like you're headed in the right direction though. Good luck!

I worked at a Physical Therapy outpatient clinic as a Physical Therapy Aide/Tech. Does your clinic not have any rehab techs? I got a lot of hands on experience that way, taking patients through their exercise program and etc. What state are you in? I know that some states don't allow for aides, only PTA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in an outpatient rehabilitation/sports medicine facility and work alongside physical therapists along with 2 orthos. I'm 21 and work 30 hrs a week as a receptionist, and working here was what made me want to become a doctor and made me become very interested in the osteopathic field. I see a lot on a regular basis. I have a good relationship with the providers and they have agreed to write me LOR's. My concern was that although I work in a clinical setting, I don't get to do anything hands on with the patients that come in. Also, I don't have any other ec's under my belt because I work very long hrs (my family's financial situation is the reason behind this) and have little time to do much else (ie research).Am I at a disadvantage because of this? Is there anything else I should do to improve my application? Any advice would be appreciated.

Stress this as having been a lot of observation time for you.

ECs are just bragging opportunities for students who did not have to work a real job to pay for undergrad. My ECs sucked because I had 0 research or hardly any volunteer time/shadowing time. (<20 hrs). Just sell your work experience and try not to dwell on the fact that you do not hava alot of volunteer time.

I worked at a Physical Therapy outpatient clinic as a Physical Therapy Aide/Tech. Does your clinic not have any rehab techs? I got a lot of hands on experience that way, taking patients through their exercise program and etc. What state are you in? I know that some states don't allow for aides, only PTA's.

I live in NY state.

I live in NY state.

I use to live in Rockland County. There are Rehab/PT Tech positions in NJ and NY. You should be able to do more hands on stuff in a Physical Therapy setting. Either that or try some of the hospitals, and do a CNA position. You don't get paid all that great, but you get more patient care experience. I know that some hospitals in NY incorporate the certification as part of the training. Not telling you to quit your job or anything, but you can always use the extra income. I worked 3 jobs at a time, and still managed to squeeze some volunteer hours in while attending school.