Question about work & volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connieption

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take it and RUN. Nobody is going to ask you how you are funded. Take advantage of this opportunity, and go do as many things as you can that interest you.

Best of luck to you.

Will they let me and my wife and 2 kids move in to? JK

I agree with Midlife, I don't think anyone will ask you that, but really, if someone did in an interview, just tell them, you C.O.D, (called on dad) no shame in that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, do med schools ever ask how you had the time & money to NOT work, especially after graduating college?

No, they never ask. Most of their applicants are 22 and supported by their parents, so it wouldn't occur to them to ask where someone's money comes from.

I'm not even sure that it would be legal to ask this kind of question, except on a financial aid app. (Although a lot of other outrageous questions DO seem to get asked in interviews--check out the "weirdest interview moments" thread for classic stories.)

If anyone should ask, you can politely let them know that it's none of their business--but not in those words, of course. Just smile mysteriously and say "I'm using my personal financial resources," and let it go at that.

Thank your parents profusely, and don't give another thought to how it will affect your apps. No one will ask. The main numbers adcoms care about are your GPA and MCAT score, not how much money your parents give you. Even if you're 50 years old, if your parents can afford to pay for your medical school tuition, your future medical school will be more than happy to take a five or six figure chunk of your parents' money. ;)