Question about writing supplementals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth_hurty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When writing supplementals, I was wondering how in depth we should go into the responses and roughly how long they should be.

For example, I'm filling out UNC's supplemental now and with the question "What have you done to explore dentistry as a career?" should I just list my dental experiences and briefly explain? Or back it up with stories and descriptions of my experiences kinda like a personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Surprisingly, I've found it more beneficial to have the supplemental essays having word/ character counts (even though I love rambling on). It definitely prevents you from fluffing up your essay, and you get your point across better.

As for ones without word/character counts @karanja gave some good advice to follow; hit the main message as concisely as possible.

I think the most I've written is like 1 page for a given school (not capped though).

Good luck!

Surprisingly, I've found it more beneficial to have the supplemental essays having word/ character counts (even though I love rambling on). It definitely prevents you from fluffing up your essay, and you get your point across better.

As for ones without word/character counts @karanja gave some good advice to follow; hit the main message as concisely as possible.

I think the most I've written is like 1 page for a given school (not capped though).

Good luck!
Thanks. Do you mean 1 page single or double spaced?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Do you mean 1 page single or double spaced?
I've been doing single spaced, but that's just me. Everyone has a different "story" to tell in each supplemental...like I said, I tend to write a lot XD

Less is more isn't a bad motto. You don't have to say EVERYTHING. Stick to your favorite points and be concise. A 2000-character limit means they don't want to read more than 2000 characters. And being human, if you can get your point across in 1000-1500, then even better.

Reactions: 1 user