Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question about writing supplementals

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tooth_hurty, Aug 3, 2015.

1. tooth_hurty

Pre-Dental
    When writing supplementals, I was wondering how in depth we should go into the responses and roughly how long they should be.

For example, I'm filling out UNC's supplemental now and with the question "What have you done to explore dentistry as a career?" should I just list my dental experiences and briefly explain? Or back it up with stories and descriptions of my experiences kinda like a personal statement?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. virtualmaster999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Surprisingly, I've found it more beneficial to have the supplemental essays having word/ character counts (even though I love rambling on). It definitely prevents you from fluffing up your essay, and you get your point across better.

As for ones without word/character counts @karanja gave some good advice to follow; hit the main message as concisely as possible.

I think the most I've written is like 1 page for a given school (not capped though).

Good luck!

4. tooth_hurty

Pre-Dental
    Thanks. Do you mean 1 page single or double spaced?

5. virtualmaster999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been doing single spaced, but that's just me. Everyone has a different "story" to tell in each supplemental...like I said, I tend to write a lot XD

6. flossiraptor863

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Less is more isn't a bad motto. You don't have to say EVERYTHING. Stick to your favorite points and be concise. A 2000-character limit means they don't want to read more than 2000 characters. And being human, if you can get your point across in 1000-1500, then even better.

tooth_hurty likes this.