question abt. secondaries. please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veaselhaufen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on being in germany next summer while I am applying to medical school. I am wondering how in depth/time consuming/ important the secondary applications are. I have cooperative family members here in the states but I am still worried that It will be very difficult to find people to look over my secondaries to make sure I haven't made a complete ass of myself. Do most of you put extensive thought/ do lots of revisions/ ask for help from people on your secondary applications? If you do advise having people help revise and "shape" your secondaries, do you think this sort of thing is possible while being overseas in a country full of bratwurst and alpenhorns? Are any SDNers willing to help with secondary applications if monetary compensation is offered?? Given that most people on this thread are now applying, do you think that applying to medical school while being in Germany would be difficult if not almost impossible? THanks for the help, and sorry for the long post!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't put nearly as much effort into my secondaries as my personal statement. They need to have proper grammar, make sense, have a point, etc, but it doesn't need to be flawless like a personal statement. I averaged probably about 1-2 hours for each secondary application. SDNers will usually help each other out by proof-reading, free of charge.

You should be able to pull it off without a problem, as long as you have access to the internet to receive emails and fill out secondaries.

I am planning on being in germany next summer while I am applying to medical school. I am wondering how in depth/time consuming/ important the secondary applications are. I have cooperative family members here in the states but I am still worried that It will be very difficult to find people to look over my secondaries to make sure I haven't made a complete ass of myself. Do most of you put extensive thought/ do lots of revisions/ ask for help from people on your secondary applications? If you do advise having people help revise and "shape" your secondaries, do you think this sort of thing is possible while being overseas in a country full of bratwurst and alpenhorns? Are any SDNers willing to help with secondary applications if monetary compensation is offered?? Given that most people on this thread are now applying, do you think that applying to medical school while being in Germany would be difficult if not almost impossible? THanks for the help, and sorry for the long post!!!

I really put a ton of time into my secondaries (and vastly underestimated the amount of time they required for me). The essays can suck up a lot of time if you let them. I would write and re-write. In retrospect, it would have probably been better to get them out more quickly. I have a sneaking suspicion that your secondary essays are generally given a quick by glance by committess.

Also too, in fairness, I think I spent a lot of time on my secondaries b/c my stats aren't the greatest. If you have a great MCAT/GPA, I really wouldn't put too much time into them. Just write them, make sure they are straight and submit them. Also, it's kind of a no brainer, but save all of your stuff in case you have redundant or similar prompts.

A good rule of thumb is to get your secondaries out withing two weeks of receiving them. I am hoping that there isn't a "next time" for me, but if there is, that's what I'll do.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good rule of thumb is to get your secondaries out withing two weeks of receiving them. I am hoping that there isn't a "next time" for me, but if there is, that's what I'll do.[/quote]

This sentiment seems to be expressed by nearly everyone but I don't understand. Why is it so crucial that secondaries are sent back immediately? If you already have your primary sent in very early (June 1) then an extra week or maybe even two shouldn't kill you? Or are you put in some different pool once you get the secondary and thus it is prohibitive for you to postpone the secondary? Thanks

I got mine done in around a week but I wouldnt suggest that route. 2-3 weeks would be ideal. Don't let secondaries ruin your trip, like someone mentioned earlier, people on SDN will usually offer to read them. I have always questioned the importance of secondary essays but I dunno.

This sentiment seems to be expressed by nearly everyone but I don't understand. Why is it so crucial that secondaries are sent back immediately? If you already have your primary sent in very early (June 1) then an extra week or maybe even two shouldn't kill you? Or are you put in some different pool once you get the secondary and thus it is prohibitive for you to postpone the secondary? Thanks
They say that the schools may think you're not that interested if you take too long with the secondary. It's also to your benefit to have your stuff in and complete early so the schools can review your file for an interview early. Early interviewees usually have the best chance at acceptance, so getting done quickly helps you.

You have to turn your secondary in before you can be considered for an interview. Since most schools have rolling admissions, it's in your best interest to get everything in ASAP.

Generally, you submit your AMCAS in June, which has to be verified, and it takes most schools awhile to send your there secondaries. If you submit your AMCAS asap, you'll start getting secondaries around the middle of July. In the meantime, if you apply to schools that don't screen secondaries (i.e. Tulane), you should go to their website, download the secondary and submit it as soon as they notify you that they have received your primary.

If you look around the board, the people that had ten to fifteen interviews in during July have generally had multiple interviews (if their stats are at all competitive).

It's in your best interest to turn everything in as soon as possible. It doesn't pay to sit on secondaries.

I wouldn't let it ruin your trip, if you are talking about an extra week or two, but I would get on them as soon as possible.

Just my $.02, based on what I wish I would have done.

For what it's worth, when I review applications I spend at least as much time reading the secondary essay as the personal statement.

I usually turned my secondary apps around within 2-3 days at the most, unless the essays were extremely different than those from other schools. Most of the essays are pretty similar, with a few obvious exceptions. Obviously you don't want to cut/paste completely but a lot of the things you've written for other schools can be adapted to fit.

There are medical school admissions counseling people that do this sort of thing for you...look into them. (i.e. inquarta...)

Inquarta offers good professional editing and medical school counseling at a modest price.

If your going to pay mine as well pay for professional help and get the best bang for your buck

Some secondaries are harder than others too. U Cinn is a one page questionairee. U of L's is 20+ 500 character essays that they look over thoroughly. So I guess it really depends on where you apply, but I'd say you could do it if you're disciplined enough.

Like Clockwork i like that Frost quote...

Thanks. First time I read that poem was during a very late night study session for an Orgo II exam. It just spoke to me...

Hah Classic and fitting!

You can definitely apply from abroad. Most secondaries are submitted online, with a few of them asking for some signature page to be sent in with the regular mail. UCSD and UCSF were the only schools I applied to that required paper versions of the full secondaries to be mailed. I mailed these apps from Africa, while emailing the admissions office to let them know that they might take a little longer than the UC 1 month deadline for secondary submission. They had no problems with that, and everything has worked out well so far. I faxed a few other signature pages to my parents so they could mail them from the US, saving a few weeks of time on some other apps getting complete.

As far as spending time on your secondary essays, why on earth wouldn't you? You've spent so long preparing for medical school- why not put this final bit of effort in to make sure you put your best foot forward, and give yourself the best chance to get into a great school? I've talked to few separate med school deans, several adcoms, and various new people during my interviews thus far. They have ALL said that secondary essays are the things that most people neglect in the application process, but are very important for getting an interview and acceptance. I'd say that I put about 10-20 hours over the course of 1-2 weeks into the essays for my top 5 schools. After my first 10 apps the rest went a little fast, but I think I must have spent at least 5 hours on nearly all apps. I had several people read them, and found their perspective really helpful.

And again...it might seem cool to not have to put all the time into the secondaries, because "you just don't need to." But nobody gets in to all the schools they apply to- and who's to say which of these you could have gotten into if you had only put in the extra effort. Finish strong in this process, and give yourself a leg up over all the other applicants who can't, or won't. Good luck!

Depends where you're applying. If you're applying to 15 schools with easy secondaries like Harvard and Penn, then you're fine. If you applying to 25+ schools, some with ridiculous essays like Duke, USC, RFU, etc., then you may have a small problem. That being said, secondary essays are definitely not as important as the AMCAS essay, so I didn't have anyone edit/read mine and I have several interviews. Unless you are a weak writer, I don't think it's necessary to have them proofread. With thousands of applications, medical schools do not look at them too closely.