Question: All about USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think about USC? It seems like that people do not like it due to the PBL system... How is it bad? I'm also wondered how harsh the typical day of the USC dental school will be as a mother of a baby. :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright. I'm going to address the PBL system. I did my undergrad in a program (4 years) that essentially implements PBL and a self-directed learning structure in the most of the courses. PBL is tricky imo. It really depends on the way it is implemented. I have had some very great experiences with PBL and some not-so-geat experiences. Its a hit-or-miss concept. PBL, in theory, is, imo, a very (most?) effective way to learn, but its implementation is where the obstacles lie at times. With that being said, I've leaned a lot from the form this form of learning. I'd also say that for PBL, students need a 'internal drive' to learn, otherwise you may find yourself having a bad time.

In the end, I'd recommend you discuss/ask current USC students on how they find it. Find multiple opinions since PBL is a relatively opinionated concept imo.

Good luck.

Alright. I'm going to address the PBL system. I did my undergrad in a program (4 years) that essentially implements PBL and a self-directed learning structure in the most of the courses. PBL is tricky imo. It really depends on the way it is implemented. I have had some very great experiences with PBL and some not-so-geat experiences. Its a hit-or-miss concept. PBL, in theory, is, imo, a very (most?) effective way to learn, but its implementation is where the obstacles lie at times. With that being said, I've leaned a lot from the form this form of learning. I'd also say that for PBL, students need a 'internal drive' to learn, otherwise you may find yourself having a bad time.

In the end, I'd recommend you discuss/ask current USC students on how they find it. Find multiple opinions since PBL is a relatively opinionated concept imo.

Good luck.

thank you :) Now I think PBL itself is not a matter of me, but as not a single anymore^^, wondered how much it requires my time and effort more than other schools, like UPENN. Yes, I also need to ask current USC students, too. ^^