PhD/PsyD Question: Chemical Dependency Pre-Licensure Course for CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitttlinnn

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently deciding which pre-licensure courses to take for psychologist licensure in California, and I'm deciding between two courses for the chemical dependency requirement. The most commonly referenced one seems to be from JFK University (- John F. Kennedy University), but there's also this Alliant one (Chemical Dependency Detection and Treatment ( 15 CE UNIT HOURS ) - Alliant International University - Continuing Education) which is less than half the price. Because it's so much cheaper, I can't help but think "what's the catch?" and am worried that somehow it doesn't qualify or something.

I think I just want another set of eyes on it, incase I'm overlooking something about it. Are there any red flags that you notice, or does it seem like it is in alignment with what the BOP requires? Better yet, has anyone here taken that Alliant course and successfully gotten licensed?

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: For anyone who might be wondering, I ended up taking the Alliant course, and lo and behold, I am now licensed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the info - JFK's closure won't impact me though. I'm asking about a pre-licensure online course that is self-pace and is only going to take up to 15 hours to complete. Either way though, I'm trying to avoid taking the JFK one because it's so expensive. My question was more focused on whether the Alliant one looks like it will qualify for California licensure requirements.

Well Alliant's course does meet the criteria for the California board so from that perspective it will accomplish what you are seeking. Regarding quality, there are plenty of threads on this forum and posts broadly on the internet discussing the quality of training offered there which indicates it is not good. Neither of those options are the only options for you. There are Universities with better reputations that offer courses that meet California's requirements. With everything now being online it may be easier to to enroll in an option that would normally require in person study.

Most people from out of state moving to CA or in a grad program that doesn’t cover all of the topics explicitly take the courses online to meet the licensure requirement because CA requires those above and beyond one’s several years of graduate training. They are essentially CE courses but pre-licensure, so in my opinion, as long as the board approves them, it doesn’t matter where they are from as long as you have a solid education prior to these courses.

Most folks I know used JFK—I couldn’t find a more affordable option at the time of my licensure so that’s what I went with. But let’s not confuse these continuing Ed courses with one’s entire graduate education—CA requires these above and beyond what many states require for licensing, so very few graduate programs will adequately cover these topics explicitly in separate classes (domestic violence, working with geriatric populations, chemical dependency...can’t recall the rest). Most of these are issues you might encounter in clinical practice but don’t get explicit coursework in, so you need a an overview—hence why they are under continuing education by these companies.

So as long as the board approves it as a pre-licensure CE course, don’t worry about it. The Alliant course appears to, but you might double check the BOP site to see if they have any further clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user