question- difficult to practice in canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogma

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am curious. How difficult is it for a US citizen and US trained doc to practice in Canada? How many boards do you have to sit for and are they expensive? Also, is Canada overwhelmed with EM docs?

I would appreciate any answers. I am only an MS4 and am about to enter US residency. But I think I would ultimately be more satisfied with Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Very difficult. There are two steps of the Canadian boards, (they're like Steps II and III) but that's not the half of it. You have to first make sure that your US residency is accepted (varies according to specialty). If your training is accepted, it may be easier to obtain a license, but you'll have to check up on that. If it's not you may have to do one or two years of additional training. But that's not the problem. The problem is actually getting a residency program to accept you to allow you to train for that extra year or two. As if that's not enough, you have to be a Canadian citizen or have Canadian PR in order to even be considered to be accepted to do this additional training.

But it can be done... I worked with a psychiatrist who graduated from Wake Forest and was from NC, who had worked in Canada for 20 years. However, as I said, times were different then. Things may change in the future, as Canada needs more docs, but as of now, it's pretty difficult.

Originally posted by moo
Very difficult. There are two steps of the Canadian boards, (they're like Steps II and III) but that's not the half of it. You have to first make sure that your US residency is accepted (varies according to specialty). If your training is accepted, it may be easier to obtain a license, but you'll have to check up on that. If it's not you may have to do one or two years of additional training. But that's not the problem. The problem is actually getting a residency program to accept you to allow you to train for that extra year or two. As if that's not enough, you have to be a Canadian citizen or have Canadian PR in order to even be considered to be accepted to do this additional training.

But it can be done... I worked with a psychiatrist who graduated from Wake Forest and was from NC, who had worked in Canada for 20 years. However, as I said, times were different then. Things may change in the future, as Canada needs more docs, but as of now, it's pretty difficult.

Or conversely you can go to a country (NZ,australia, UK) where the length of the residency is equal to or greater than a Canadian one, and thus you will have NO problem in terms of length.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish it was as easy as that.....have UK qualifications and experience but still have difficulty getting a licence to practice in Canada, even in rural areas....there is the Ontario Clearinghouse, an amalgamation of two programs, but you have to have the MCCEE to apply...

Originally posted by Trini
Wish it was as easy as that.....have UK qualifications and experience but still have difficulty getting a licence to practice in Canada, even in rural areas....there is the Ontario Clearinghouse, an amalgamation of two programs, but you have to have the MCCEE to apply...

Actually,

I'm not sure when you applied but Ontario clearing house aside there is a new program in Ontario (search under valuemd's canadian section, i've posted a link there, or caribbeanmedicine.com - copy and paste this link into your browser) which allows you to enter the system with only 5 year experience in the country where you received your medical training and NO TESTS.

Haven't chatted with you for a while, how's everything?

Actually, I think I know the program you are referring too, is it called the Registration Through Practice Assessment?

I've been in touch with the College and since I've been in practice in my home country (Trinidad) since 2000 (which forms the bulk of my post grad experience) they will not be able to assess my qualifications, even though I spent 3 years in England. Part of the process is for the College representatives to actually visit the hospitals and audit the applicants performance, I belive it's mainly program is targeting doctors from other Provinces and in the US becuase of proximity.

I don't know how successful this program is going to be because to me Canada has a critical shortage of doctors and poaching from other provinces is not going to help, and I don't know of many doctors practicing in the US that want to return to Canada, there may be some, but that is not going to make too much of a difference.

I'll be doing the MCCEE in Sept, plus applying to the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada for recognition since they recognise my FRCS....it's a long process (18 motnhs) but I have nothing to lose.

If you have any more up-to-date information please let me know.

Take care

Trini

Originally posted by Trini
Haven't chatted with you for a while, how's everything?

Actually, I think I know the program you are referring too, is it called the Registration Through Practice Assessment?

I've been in touch with the College and since I've been in practice in my home country (Trinidad) since 2000 (which forms the bulk of my post grad experience) they will not be able to assess my qualifications, even though I spent 3 years in England. Part of the process is for the College representatives to actually visit the hospitals and audit the applicants performance, I belive it's mainly program is targeting doctors from other Provinces and in the US becuase of proximity.

I don't know how successful this program is going to be because to me Canada has a critical shortage of doctors and poaching from other provinces is not going to help, and I don't know of many doctors practicing in the US that want to return to Canada, there may be some, but that is not going to make too much of a difference.

I'll be doing the MCCEE in Sept, plus applying to the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada for recognition since they recognise my FRCS....it's a long process (18 motnhs) but I have nothing to lose.

If you have any more up-to-date information please let me know.

Take care

Trini

Hey Trini,

I contacted the program myself and I asked if I did my training in Australia and worked here for 5 years would it be recognized in this program, and they said that it would be. Doing a residency and then working in Ireland, Australia, NZ, UK and perhaps South Africa (and in some cases the US) would probably all be okay as well.

That's the only uptodate info i have right now.

If you know anything more let me know.

Thanks Redshifteffect

That's certainly welcoming news, I guess they have since expanded the program. Actually I'm in the process of completing the application since I really have nothing to lose .... I believe the deadline for this program is the end of this month.

Thanks again

Trini

EM docs in most provinces are very badly needed right now.

Hey Trini,

Forgot to ask you your experiences with applying for a match in the US?

How did that go?

Hey Aric

Thanks for the info, however its still a long and slow process to get to practice medicine in Canada even though there is a critical shortage of Doctors.

Hi Redshifteffect

Would you believe not even one interview in all of the 100+ hospitals I applied to!!??!! I not sure what went wrong, some say its because I'm an "older" graduate some say its visa issues.....who really know, but I'm taking part in the scramble, might as well go the full distance.

I'm also taking a break from surgery and doing 6 months in Anesthetics, thinking of going back to the UK and doing another Fellowship, that is if nothing works out in the US.

What about you, what have you been up to?

Cheers

Trini