Question: Does the MLF communicate with the Hypoglossal nuclei?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

name member

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Could anybody please enlighten me?

I'm sitting a basic functional neurology exam with a section on cranial nerves next week. My notes in a few places say that the MLF communicates between vestibular nuclei and the hypoglossal nucleus (as well as the ocular nuclei, obviously).

However I can't seem to find any articles or texts that reference this, nor can I think of a reason why the MLF would need to communicate with the motor generator of the tongue.

Thanks for reading,
New guy :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you maybe mean to write the nucleus prepositus hypoglossi in your notes? It functions in horizontal gaze and is one of the nuclei surrounding the nucleus of XII.

I can't think of a functional reason why the nucleus of XII itself would communicate with the MLF, though it is just dorsal to the MLF and the MLF carries some extrapyramidal motor fibers. Even if they did communicate in some way (most areas of the brain are connected somehow), I doubt it would be very important for your test.