Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, to start, I'll introduce myself. I'm living here in Houston, Texas, and I'm about to take my Pharmacy tech certification test on the 12th. I've been studying, but that's not what concerns me. What I want to ask, is if those of you who have worked in all areas of a pharmacy would choose a retail setting or institutional one like a hospital. So far, I've considered working at the following:
CVS
Walgreens
Costco
Krogers
And really any hospital that would hire me.
Also, I have read that pharmacies on the retial side make you work long hours and sometimes without eating. Also, you have to familiarize yourself with different insurance plans and coverage. In a hospital setting, this is not the case, right? Insurance is handled by someone else, and I'm not sure about how "busy" it would get considering every floor should have a medcart or something along those lines, with all the patients' medications for the day. So I would assume the busy part would rely on how many new patients are received. Anyway, before this gets too long, let me know what you all think and have experienced. Also, is it true that now pharmacies are more about who you know, rather that what you know? Thanks for your replies.
CVS
Walgreens
Costco
Krogers
And really any hospital that would hire me.
Also, I have read that pharmacies on the retial side make you work long hours and sometimes without eating. Also, you have to familiarize yourself with different insurance plans and coverage. In a hospital setting, this is not the case, right? Insurance is handled by someone else, and I'm not sure about how "busy" it would get considering every floor should have a medcart or something along those lines, with all the patients' medications for the day. So I would assume the busy part would rely on how many new patients are received. Anyway, before this gets too long, let me know what you all think and have experienced. Also, is it true that now pharmacies are more about who you know, rather that what you know? Thanks for your replies.
