Question for aprogramdirector

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathmad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you for all the great advice. It's so nice to have some one like you here. so following the thread about multiple personal statements, I was wondering if the programs could tell that we have submitted a new one or not? I mean do you guys have a way one noticing that the new one is a second draft?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly no, with a small yes.

If you upload a new personal statement after we have downloaded it, the new one completely replaces the old one. There is no obvious mention that this has happened, or what changes have been made, etc. So, mostly the answer is no.

However, if a PD wants to really check this out and knows how ERAS works, we can bring up a window demonstrating all changes to the entire set of applications over some period of time. You can't just check it for a single application, you get the whole list of apps. You can then scan through and actually see what has been changed. However, you cannot see the old PS any more -- it is gone from our system forever.

Basically, it's a ton of work, really clunky, and you can't see what the old PS said, so it won't happen.

thank you so much. this is a relief.

So unless the PD has actually printed out a copy of your original personal statement the day he/she has downloaded it, you can still upload a newer version and no one would technically know, other than using the scenario that you described?

Just curious, when programs download your application, is it kept in an electronic file or is everything made into a physical folder by printing out the application. There are a couple of programs that downloaded my application the first day of the week and I was thinking about sending them a newer one.

Just curious, when programs download your application, is it kept in an electronic file or is everything made into a physical folder by printing out the application. There are a couple of programs that downloaded my application the first day of the week and I was thinking about sending them a newer one.

bump

i have this same question

So unless the PD has actually printed out a copy of your original personal statement the day he/she has downloaded it, you can still upload a newer version and no one would technically know, other than using the scenario that you described?

It depends, of course. When I became the PD, the current PA was printing everything. I've weaned her down, slowly. Now we print only the apps of those we are interviewing. Hopefully, sometime in the future there will be no paper.

I expect that many programs do have a paper file.

For programs that keep paper files, they definitely WILL see that you uploaded a new PS. When we connect with the ERAS postoffice and download new documents, we are given the option of printing the new items. If a program has already printed your PS, when you upload a new one they will print it out and file it.

I think you may be worrying a bit too much about the importance of a PS. Once submitted, you are probably best leaving it alone. If you submit a new one and someone's printed out your old one, they almost certainly will look to see what you changed. Do you really want that scrutiny? Even to fix a spelling error, you are simply highlighting it for programs to see.

There is no way for you to know if a program printed your app or not.

Thanks for the info and advice!:thumbup: