question for canadian med students/docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Canadian citizen hoping to attend an American medical school and do residency here, I would like to hear from other canadians who have done the same without any family financial support...

I realize that there aren't any options for me except for private loans. So I know that if I do go to med school here in the US, I'm going to be paying a huge amount of interest on my loans, throughout school and during residency as well.

Are there others out there who are going through/have gone through this process. Or am I just crazy to think that this can be done?

Family support is not an option for me, so I'm on my own.

I appreciate any and all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

doc.doc said:
As a Canadian citizen hoping to attend an American medical school and do residency here, I would like to hear from other canadians who have done the same without any family financial support...

I realize that there aren't any options for me except for private loans. So I know that if I do go to med school here in the US, I'm going to be paying a huge amount of interest on my loans, throughout school and during residency as well.

Are there others out there who are going through/have gone through this process. Or am I just crazy to think that this can be done?

good question. all i know is that it can be done. keep the big picture in mind. going to the states to study med instead of remaining in canada should be looked at as a big opportunity. you never know where you'll end up. sure money talks but it's how you play the game. the money's out there -- just be creative!

edit to say sorry about the touchy-feely nature of the post. but that's all i can say at the moment. hopefully will have some more insights in the next few months!!

thanks klause, i'm trying to keep the big picture in mind...just hoping that i'm not making a huge mistake..

Members don't see this ad :)
doc.doc said:

Hey man, as a fellow Canadian, I am telling you don't sweat it too much. If your goal is to go to med school, by all means go to US. There are options believe you me. Your tuition will be atrocious absolutely, but there are loans you can take out and you will be A okay. There is an organization Teri.org (google it) that specializes in giving loans to international students. You can get up to 45 grand per year from them. Being a Canadian you can also get loans from OSAP that you don't have to pay untill six months after you are done medical school. Also don't forget that you can take out loans from Canadian banks.

Yea you need to be a bit creative sure, but you'll be A okay. It can be done, it's doable, it's a tougher road than going to Canadian school, but absolutely doable. Money really doesn't matter in the long run, compared to what you will be getting, long term job security, great job, with ability to make a substantial income. Money is just a problem in the present.

Also as a plan b, you can always start out med school in states and if for whatever reason you don't like it, can apply to canadian schools back again, and then your chances of getting in are much much better. You have ability to apply to 3 year schools like McMaster, so you really wouldn't lose that much time.

But honestly situation is not that bleak, its just money, yea you will have more loans than others, but you will get through them. Plus opportunities, income ability, are much better in US than Canada. In my opinion unless you go to U of T that is nationally recognized, really the only advantage of a Canadian school over American is cheaper tuition. Good luck man.

doc.doc said:

Hey man, as a fellow Canadian, I am telling you don't sweat it too much. If your goal is to go to med school, by all means go to US. There are options believe you me. Your tuition will be atrocious absolutely, but there are loans you can take out and you will be A okay. There is an organization Teri.org (google it) that specializes in giving loans to international students. You can get up to 45 grand per year from them. Being a Canadian you can also get loans from OSAP that you don't have to pay untill six months after you are done medical school. Also don't forget that you can take out loans from Canadian banks.

Yea you need to be a bit creative sure, but you'll be A okay. It can be done, it's doable, it's a tougher road than going to Canadian school, but absolutely doable. Money really doesn't matter in the long run, compared to what you will be getting, long term job security, great job, with ability to make a substantial income. Money is just a problem in the present.

Also as a plan b, you can always start out med school in states and if for whatever reason you don't like it, can apply to canadian schools back again, and then your chances of getting in are much much better. You have ability to apply to 3 year schools like McMaster, so you really wouldn't lose that much time.

But honestly situation is not that bleak, its just money, yea you will have more loans than others, but you will get through them. Plus opportunities, income ability, are much better in US than Canada. In my opinion unless you go to U of T that is nationally recognized, really the only advantage of a Canadian school over American is cheaper tuition. Good luck man.

doc.doc said: