Question for current DMU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from other threads posted that the 3rd and 4th clinicals are not at DMU. Is this correct? If so where do the clinicals take place? Out of State? Are the teaching hospitals that run the clinicals half way decent? What kinds of experiences have some of you had who are currently doing their clinicals?

Thaks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Corona 247

I am not a current DMU student, but I interviewed there and am in the 2008 class. They do have rotations in Des Moines. With 200 students in every class like many schools they need to send some students to other locations (UW-Madison does this). The Dean of COMS is the chief of surgery at Mercy hospital and from what he told us he is working very hard to increase the number of local rotations in Des Moines and the midwest. He also made it clear if hospitals and clinics are not up to par with the standards the college has set they will be eliminated.

Hello!

I'm a 3rd year at DMU. About 1/2 of the students will stay in Iowa for their 3rd and 4th year rotations. As for the percentage of those that stay in Des Moines, I'm not sure. I have been traveling around for most of this year. I'm currently in Michigan. There are many great osteopathic hospitals in MI (not that you have to rotate at an osteopathic hospital). I'm leaving to do family pracitice in Houston in a few weeks. However, I have a bit more crazy of a schedule than most. I chose to do this, mostly for fun and to widen my oppurtunities. I have worked with students from several of the other schools. Some students that do have base hospitals envy my jumping around. I'm able to rotate at several of the hospitals I intend to apply to. So I think that answers your first question. As for your 2nd, I've seen lots of stuff. Some of it is run of the mill other times it is stuff I never dreamed of seeing. Rotations have been so much better than being in class. The hours can be long at times and the work frustrating but in the end, I'm loving it.

Katie