Question for current NYCOM students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimistic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my orientation packet last week and along with it I recived some phone numbers to rent microscopes . I was wondering if it is absolutely required to rent those . and Is it a good idea to rent those for two years ot to but your own.Also are there certain kind that are better than others.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I am also an entering freshman and have had the same questions as you. From what others have told me so far, they say to wait until school starts to purchase the microscope. You might be able to find someone selling theirs. It is not mandatory to buy/rent from the fliers you recieved. Any micrscope that meets NYCOM's "standards" will do. I am waiting till school starts to either rent/purchase my microscope. I have also heard that it may not even be necessary to get one.

Thanks for the info desi.
Any other student in there second or third year have any info about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
Im an incoming freshman (into NYCOM), but I did get a chance to talk to a few of our senior friends there...basically , the only books you NEED to buy are the anatomy ones, everthing else usually winds up being reference material...aka use the library. Other than that, the student I spoke to, a 5th year OMT fellow, said to definitely wait till we talk to the second years before getting books. She also said that its useless to buy the scope, so rent one, unless you have a sibling coming in after you, then you should prolly buy.

PATHOLOGY TEXT SHOULD BE BOUGHT......SAVE MONEY ON OTHER TEXTS AND USE THAT MONEY ON REVIEW BOOKS AND ANATOMY, HISTO, AND NEURO ATLAS.....

ANY 1ST YR NYCOM CLASS IS HONORABLE WITHOUT THE TEXT...TRUST ME..ITS BEEN DONE BY MANY OF US...JUST GO TO ALL ANATOMY LECTURES...THEY ARE HELPFUL AND EVEN AMUSING....

MICS......U SHOULD GO TO ACCUSCOPE...THEY WILL PROB HAVE A REP PRESENT DURING ORIENTATION......IF YOU DECIDE TO WAIT UNTIL PATH (WHICH IS THE ONLY TIME U NEED THE SCOPE....ABOUT FEB) THEN U CAN GO TO ACCUSCOPE OFFICE LOCATED CONVENIENTLY IN SEA CLIFF (15 MIN RIDE)....
THEY CHARGED ME 540 DOLLARS FOR 2 YRS WITH A 150 SECURITY DEPOSIT.......IMO ACCUSCOPE SCOPES ARE BETTER QUALITY THAN OLYMPUS BC ACCUSCOPE PUTS OUT A CLEAN, WHITE LIGHT WHILE OLYMPUS PUTS OUT A DIRTY YELLOWISH COLOR......