Question for current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rewindthemovie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior in high school. I applied and was accepted into St. Louis University's Pre-Med Biology program. When I was talking to a SLU rep at my high school, however, he convinced me to change my major to "Investigative and Medical Sciences."

He told me that SLU's most popular major was Biology, so I would have amazingly large classes. He also said that having biology as my major really has no affect on whether I'll be accepted into med school for surgery (either general or neuro).

So, is any of this true? Should I keep this as my major to avoid large class sizes, or should I go and immediately switch my major to Biology?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

you need to major in underwater basketweaving. It looks great on medical school applications.

You can major in whatever you'd like as long as you take the med school pre-reqs. I recommend majoring in something you like, although the class size issue has some validity. Overall, though, your exact major isn't a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need to major in underwater basketweaving. It looks great on medical school applications.

Haha! They actually taught that class at my school!

No really, major in WHATEVER you want! You don't need to go Bio to get into medical school.

Oh, and you don't get accepted to medical school for a specialty. You get accepted to medical school and you'll choose your area of interest sometime around your 3rd year when you start thinking about/applying to your residency.

In fact, medical schools appreciate people who are open-minded about what they want to go into (i.e. 'I don't know what kind of doctor I want to be right now, but I know I want to be one') - just be sure to prove that statement in your work and ECs.

If you're surgery all the way, then cool. Just remember, you're 17/18 right now and you have 4 years of college and 3-4 years of medical school to experience first before you can start to make that decision.

Originally posted by kelenaf
Haha! They actually taught that class at my school!

No really, major in WHATEVER you want! You don't need to go Bio to get into medical school.

Oh, and you don't get accepted to medical school for a specialty. You get accepted to medical school and you'll choose your area of interest sometime around your 3rd year when you start thinking about/applying to your residency.

In fact, medical schools appreciate people who are open-minded about what they want to go into (i.e. 'I don't know what kind of doctor I want to be right now, but I know I want to be one') - just be sure to prove that statement in your work and ECs.

If you're surgery all the way, then cool. Just remember, you're 17/18 right now and you have 4 years of college and 3-4 years of medical school to experience first before you can start to make that decision.

Thanks for the answers!

This forum seems like a great source of information. I think I'll stick around! :D

Oh, on a side note, I already have my doctorate in underwater basket weaving. There is nothing more they can teach me. :clap: