Question for Current USC Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so... i've been accepted (yay) and i'm filling out the financial aid questions regarding my housing situation and i don't know if its wise for me to commute (since there's always traffic in LA).

I was just wondering what your class, work, clubs/extracurr schedules are like and if its worth it to live closer to campus (but have to pay for rent) or live at home (but make the hour commute)?

muchas gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptance! People here do everything from live on campus (dorms) to commute from as far as Oceanside and Lancaster. Its definitely doable but it depends on how much you plan to do. I have to admit that it would be a lot easier to live close by if you are planning on being involved with extracurrics though because events tend to be in the late afternoon/evenings. Class schedules vary from year to year (1st year is roughly 8 am - noon, 2nd year is 1 PM - 5 PM, 3rd year is 9 am - 3 or 4 pm). In addition to that you will have externship for a span of a few weeks during 1st and 2nd year. (1-6 pm 1st year and starting at 6:30 am 2nd year). Work schedules outside of school varies - some people don't work during the school year, while others work anywhere from 8-24+ hours per week (primarily weekends). Hope that helps!

so... i've been accepted (yay) and i'm filling out the financial aid questions regarding my housing situation and i don't know if its wise for me to commute (since there's always traffic in LA).

I was just wondering what your class, work, clubs/extracurr schedules are like and if its worth it to live closer to campus (but have to pay for rent) or live at home (but make the hour commute)?

muchas gracias!

Welcome to the Trojan Family!

Ok, one Q I've is where is your house? I'm personally commuting from Rowland Heights. I'm kinda hating it as I've to wake up every day at 5:45 and the commute takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour. But w/ a few carpooling buddies life is a little better.

In terms of my class/work/clubs etc, a typical week would look like this:

5:45 - 12 Class/traffic
About 2 days of the week - Day ends at 1:30 @ home
About 3 days of the week - Day ends at anything ranging from 7p-2a depending on SIA/Alphas/Party/Hangout.
One of the Wkend day - Work
The other Wkend day - Sleep/Study

So that's a snap shot of a typical week for me. I personally can't afford to take out too much loan coz I'm stacking another 39k on my tuition, that's why I'm staying home, and it's an easy decision because my parents feed me and pay for my gas. However, if you are paying for your own gas, I would say move out can be a better long term option.

what a small world, i went to rowland high school but i recently moved and i'm commuting from west covina right now (azusa/amar)... so our commutes are pretty similar... if anything... maybe we'll work out a carpool system. haha, thanks for your help... this is something i'm gonna be thinking about