Question for DO's: Do you maintain both FM boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What board certification have you maintained?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to know what others think about whether to maintain both ABOFP (DO or osteopathic) and ABFM (allopathic or MD) board certifications. The general consensus among my resident peers is that they plan to maintain only one, although they hedge to say they'd probably select the ABFM in the end. I'm curious as to what others think the benefits would be to continue to maintain both or only one? I've heard that it's not preferred to discontinue the ABOFP certification if you're interested in getting into osteopathic medical education in some fashion.

Members don't see this ad.

The new osteopathic standards to maintain cert are horrendous. I'm in the middle of working on them. For me I did a strictly DO residency and only did COMLEX so that's the path I'm stuck in. For anyone who has the choice to be on the MD side of things I would advise to go that route.

Reactions: 2 users
I was a true believer until I hit cranial in school -- given the suspension of disbelief required for that, I kinda soured on the osteopathic side of things -- always felt the COMLEX and COMLEX PE were "me, too" exams, especially given how poorly they are written. Went to an allopathic residency (which sucked) but am ABFM board certified and have absolutely no intention of having anything to do with the D.O. side of certification or education until the AOA cleans up it's act, gets into the 21st century and stops this crud about maintaining the "osteopathic" difference.....but that's me.....

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a DO but I did a dual residency so I am board certified by both the ACOFP (DO) and the ABFM (MD). I agree that the ACOFP requirements are absolutely ridiculous. So, unless you are planning on teaching at a DO school and need the board certification, I'd stick with the ABFM.

Reactions: 1 users
Follow up to this...my FM residency was originally an AOA-only program when I started, now moving forward with the merger and pre-accredited with ACGME. I am taking AOBFP boards this spring, but ABFM is offering an Osteopathic track for any FM physician that graduated from an AOA program to apply for ABFM board certification and sit for the test until December 31, 2022. I'm thinking of going ahead with this, holding both board certifications, and then not recertifying with AOBFP in 7 years. Are there any significant consequences to dropping the DO boards (other than not becoming DO faculty in the future)?

Last edited:
I'm also thinking of doing ABFM boards, since the osteopathic track offered by the ABFM is time-limited, and after a few years that track will be closed. My only reason is that having to travel to do a practical OMT exam (that pretty much nobody fails) is a waste of my time and money.

As far as dropping AOBFP certification, this should not affect anyone's ability to be "DO faculty" in the future, even program director. Even an MD that graduates from an OR program can become faculty at such a program per ACGME rules. See the Osteopathic Recognition FAQs from the ACGME for more details and explanation of some of the OR faculty requirements.

I'm also thinking of doing ABFM boards, since the osteopathic track offered by the ABFM is time-limited, and after a few years that track will be closed. My only reason is that having to travel to do a practical OMT exam (that pretty much nobody fails) is a waste of my time and money.

As far as dropping AOBFP certification, this should not affect anyone's ability to be "DO faculty" in the future, even program director. Even an MD that graduates from an OR program can become faculty at such a program per ACGME rules. See the Osteopathic Recognition FAQs from the ACGME for more details and explanation of some of the OR faculty requirements.
They might mean faculty at a DO school, I agree with your comments about residency faculty

There are several reasons I would choose ABFM over AOBFP. First, the AOBFP is essentially an arm of the AOA. Should you have a social/political organization controlling a specialty certifying board? They should remain totally separate. If you become AOBFP certified, you must remain an AOA member in good standing to "maintain" your certification. Currently, this is $683/year (not including your certification maintenance fee). Over a 30 year career, this is over $20,000 (if the membership fee does not increase -- but it has a history of frequently being increased). Secondly, the AOA/AOBFP have genuinely messed up their "continuing certification" (OCC) process. It has become crazy. Just one example -- the AOA's CME cycle is 3 years long, but the recertification and OCC cycle is 10 years. The OCC requirements are onerous at best. To some extent this is due to the AOA trying to standardize all of it's specialty boards to the same OCC rules. Maybe the ABFM has it's issues as well, but the ABMS seems to be attempting to adress the issues, and each board is in charge of it's own process, so that it is more relavent to the practice of that particular specialty. Thirdly, the AOBFP (and most AOA certifying boards) just as the AOA, is the worst "good old boys" club in medicine. It is difficult for new ideas and leadership to get past the old guard.

You can still take ABFM within 7 years after a residency also accredited by the ACGME which is the period of "board eligibility" correct? I had to take the AOBFP, and ABFM was not paid for at our residency for DOs. I want to take ABFM as soon as I have money and it is offered again. ABMS really is the standard. AOA requirements are rather expensive and onerous.

As an aside, and to understand my perspective, I am AOA certified (not eligible for ABMS certification). I've been in leadership roles, including president of my AOA specialty college, as well as chairman of my certifying board. I have first hand experience of the problems inherent in the AOA specialty environment. It's dysfunctional at best. Go with ABMS (allopathic) and you'll have fewer headaches down the road.