Question for DrMidLife or anyone else!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye872

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching all the postbacc programs online and looking through threads on this forum because I plan to apply to SMPs this cycle. I'm not very familiar with this process so sorry if these are obvious questions.

I have a 2.9sGPA and am taking MCAT April 28. Right now I would love to go to a program where I take med school classes and/or has direct linkages. I have two questions:

1) I saw on another thread where I think DrMidLife said programs like EVMS and Cincinnati have good linkages and but Georgetown SMP does not. Does this mean that EVMS and Cincy do a better job of putting their students into their medical schools after successful completion of SMP?

2)I'm very interested in Temple's ACMS program since I used to live in Philly. I have an SAT score of 1500, but a subpar science gpa(2.9). Any thoughts on if I would be competitive for program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been researching all the postbacc programs online and looking through threads on this forum because I plan to apply to SMPs this cycle. I'm not very familiar with this process so sorry if these are obvious questions.
Howdy. Happy new year! You're not going to like anything else I have to say.:laugh:
I have a 2.9sGPA
This isn't good. You can't substantiate your ability to thrive, under a crushing load of all science, for multiple years, with that GPA. Is your cumulative non-science GPA higher?

More importantly, what, exactly, makes you think you can get A's in science courses now, if you didn't before? An SMP is a horrible place to try to figure out how to get A's in science. Figure out how to to get A's in science by taking more undergrad coursework, before you look at SMPs.

Regardless, it would be a mistake to take that 2.9 into SMPs that don't feed their host med schools, because then you still have to go out and get yourself noticed at other med schools with that 2.9, and there's no point in doing a med school app while you're in the SMP.

Specifically, if you can get into the following programs with a 2.9, your likely outcome would be that you still can't get into a US MD school, by applying the year after succeeding in the SMP, and you'd most likely end up DO:
-> Gtown, Loyola, Boston, Tufts, RFU, Drexel (most of their programs), NYMC, Toledo, UMDNJ, USC and probably USF.

By contrast, if you can get into the following programs with a 2.9, and you do very, very well, you can assume you'd get an MD admission at the host school, to start immediately after completion of the SMP:
-> EVMS, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane ACP
and am taking MCAT April 28.
You'll get your score in mid-June. Unfortunately that's too late for consideration at EVMS/Cincy/Temple SMPs for Fall 2012. (Tulane ACP requires that you be on a med school waitlist to apply, so that's not on the table for you.)

You could probably get into one of the bazillion Drexel programs, maybe Boston, maybe Tufts, for Fall 2012, regardless of your MCAT timing or score. But, as above, that wouldn't get you into a US MD school, and in my opinion, those programs would be a mistake with a 2.9.

And, based on your science GPA, it would be surprising if you are prepared to get your best possible score in the next few months. What if you do more undergrad science, longer MCAT prep, and maybe an MCAT exam date of September? Then you could aim for SMP apps (EVMS/Cincy/Temple) next October/November.
1) I saw on another thread where I think DrMidLife said programs like EVMS and Cincinnati have good linkages and but Georgetown SMP does not. Does this mean that EVMS and Cincy do a better job of putting their students into their medical schools after successful completion of SMP?
As above, if you can get into EVMS or Cincy, which typically require that you apply with at least an average MCAT (31+) to go with a below average GPA, and you do very well in the SMP, then you have an excellent chance to stay at EVMS or Cincy. It would be smart, regardless of your stats, to be very afraid that you would be one of the 5-or-so students in each year's SMP class, at those schools, who don't do well in the program.
2)I'm very interested in Temple's ACMS program since I used to live in Philly. I have an SAT score of 1500, but a subpar science gpa(2.9). Any thoughts on if I would be competitive for program?
You can apply to any program you like, and maybe Temple will be friendly. But, in general, the better the results of an SMP, the more competition to get in. With a GPA lower than the published minimum, I don't think you'd get into Temple's programs.

So my advice is:
- more undergrad science, to get up over 3.0 and prove (to yourself!!!) that you're ready for an SMP and/or med school
- hold off on the MCAT unless your practice tests indicate you'll be above average (31+), because April 28 is only a good test date if you're ready to apply MD in June.
- apply for SMPs like EVMS/Cincy/Temple for Fall 2013
- or, if you don't like the above, focus on DO schools (which also have SMP-like-programs)

Best of luck to you.

Forgot to mention that VCU's postbac is a sub-3.0 "SMP" option. Look for posts from VCU postbac grads in the last couple years in this forum.

Thanks DrMidlife! This is very helpful, exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.