question for Kaplan MCAT instructors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kia ora

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Princeton Review has different teachers for different sections of the MCAT. how does Kaplan work? can you be hired to teach just one section, or do you have to teach all of them? thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

don't do it

you have to teach all of them

that's what I thought. thanks for the response

it seems like a bad strategy to have one teacher for all three sections. very few people are really great at all three; many people are very good at just one. Kaplan seems to rake in the $ though, so it must be working for them...

Members don't see this ad :)
it seems like a bad strategy to have one teacher for all three sections. very few people are really great at all three; many people are very good at just one. Kaplan seems to rake in the $ though, so it must be working for them...

true. if kaplan really hires one teacher to teach all three sections then maybe I should sign up for princeton review...

that's what I thought. thanks for the response

that was my issue. I can do VR and BS really well, but I can't do PS to save my life. Teaching PS was awfully painful for me AND the students.

kaplan prefers you teach all three. but it's not always the case.

kaplan prefers you teach all three. but it's not always the case.

+1 They prefer that but you can still teach individual sections if you so desire

I didn't qualify to teach PS and they still made me. They said students preferred to have 1 teacher over a team.

there is some leeway. if you scored like a 6, you wouldn't be able to, most likely..

I worked for them. They definitely don't make you teach all three if you are not comfortable or don't qualify for it. While I taught all of the sections, I knew others that only taught the biological sciences or only the verbal for instance. Ask at your local kaplan center b/c I'm sure there are different preferences based on the supervisor.

Teach for The Princeton Review!! Why prep for all the subjects when you can focus on the one you like best? I teach Bio only. Not even the entire Biological Sciences section... I don't teach O-chem... only Bio :D

You give the same set of lectures once and then they get smoother every time you deliver them. Better than being a jack of all trades, in my opinion.

Teach for The Princeton Review!! Why prep for all the subjects when you can focus on the one you like best? I teach Bio only. Not even the entire Biological Sciences section... I don't teach O-chem... only Bio :D

You give the same set of lectures once and then they get smoother every time you deliver them. Better than being a jack of all trades, in my opinion.

I'd like to, actually. I just want to teach one section. however, the PR website app. form is DREADFUL. the app. form/resume uploader thingys do not work and their tech support does not return emails. I think they must not want anyone to actually apply to teach for them! I suppose I will have to actually go by one of their offices to get it sorted

Does PR care if you took a Kaplan course, but would still want to teach for PR anyways?

I'd like to, actually. I just want to teach one section. however, the PR website app. form is DREADFUL. the app. form/resume uploader thingys do not work and their tech support does not return emails. I think they must not want anyone to actually apply to teach for them! I suppose I will have to actually go by one of their offices to get it sorted

Yea I never applied online. I just got in touch with the local office and went from there.

Does PR care if you took a Kaplan course, but would still want to teach for PR anyways?

Taking a TPR course is not a prereq for teaching it. They wouldn't care if you took a course by another company or didn't take a course at all.

I taught just BS for Kaplan. I said that's what I wanted to teach, and they didn't even mention teaching any of the others.

Also, this was in 2003.