Question for Med Students regarding on/off campus living...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveySean88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this should belong in the "pre-medical" forum. This my first post :).

So, I'm going to be entering Med School soon and will have to find somewhere else to stay. I lived with my parents for my entire 4 years of Undergrad and it saved me a ton of money. My parents said they will allow me to stay in their house 1 more year and then I would have to find my own place.

So my question is - if you had should I stay with my folks for the 1st year of Med School or for the last year of Med School. Anytime I can stay with my parents and save money is a major + for me so I'm not really concerned about my social life.

I'm thinking maybe the 1st is better to live on-campus because I'll have a better chance of finding study partners and then just move back in the 4th year. Or maybe 4th year is so chaotic that I should just stay with my parents the 1st?

Please let me know your thoughts (I did do a search btw but couldn't find this particular topic)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly want to live with your parents for another year than I would do it first year, chances are once you move out you are NOT going to want to move back. I'm usually a proponent for saving money however you can but seriously, move out.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Move out now, for sure. You don't want to be living with your parents during 1st year where there are a ton of social activities, you want to be finding friends, building bonds with your classmates, giving yourself the freedom to go out drinking, whatever.

You're probably not going to want to move back 4th year, but in case you still do, it makes more sense during 4th year. You're travelling so much for interviews/doing away rotations that you often don't see your apartment for weeks at a time. That way you're not paying rent on a place you only see for half the year.

I'd move out now. And then live with them 4th year if you do a lot of away rotations so you don't end up having to pay for two rents at once.

Think and plan long term for the love of god. If you live somewhere where you're paying 10k or more for housing per year, that's a LOT of money over 4+ years (not to mention expenses like food). This stuff comes from your loans and adds up. Housing + food + utilities probably set me back 45k in my loans and I'm certainly going to have to spend extra time paying this back.

I know multiple classmates who lived at home and had great social lives all throughout medical school. This isn't college. You can have a social life without having to "live in the dorms". Most of your time will be spent studying during the first two years and on rotations in the last 2 years. You aren't going to be going to keggers and frat parties every night.

Then again, since you're being basically told to move out after your first year, you're going to end up spending the money again anyway, so it's up to you.

Think and plan long term for the love of god. If you live somewhere where you're paying 10k or more for housing per year, that's a LOT of money over 4+ years (not to mention expenses like food). This stuff comes from your loans and adds up. Housing + food + utilities probably set me back 45k in my loans and I'm certainly going to have to spend extra time paying this back.

I know multiple classmates who lived at home and had great social lives all throughout medical school. This isn't college. You can have a social life without having to "live in the dorms". Most of your time will be spent studying during the first two years and on rotations in the last 2 years. You aren't going to be going to keggers and frat parties every night.

Then again, since you're being basically told to move out after your first year, you're going to end up spending the money again anyway, so it's up to you.
Medical school doesn't take up *THAT* much time.

People don't get wasted every night, but every 2-4 weeks is pretty normal for medical school. It's a lot harder to hook up with nasty beeches who like to be loud in bed when mommy and daddy are two doors down the hall. This guy may be a virgin for all we know. So maybe it's not a consideration. It'd definitely kill my sex life if I had to live with my parents for all of medical school.

Medical school doesn't take up *THAT* much time.

People don't get wasted every night, but every 2-4 weeks is pretty normal for medical school. It's a lot harder to hook up with nasty beeches who like to be loud in bed when mommy and daddy are two doors down the hall. This guy may be a virgin for all we know. So maybe it's not a consideration. It'd definitely kill my sex life if I had to live with my parents for all of medical school.

Whatever man. We dont' know anything about his priorities and his considerations.

I know people who got routinely drunk every month living at home. Many had girlfriends while living at home and would just hit it at the GF's place or on a vacation. It's not that hard to do and it isn't college.

Frankly saving that much more in loan money is going to make a big difference in the long run, which is something you are going to find out at your exit interviews.

Being able to have sex with who I want, how I want, and when I want is 100% worth 40k over 4 years. Chronic sexual repression would result in suboptimal Step 1 and shelf scores. Probably lower clerkship evals too. You have to think long term about where you want to end up when making a decision where you are going to live. There are trade offs to both. But when you're making that dermatologist or radiologist salary 'cuz you got some on the regular your loans ain't no thang.

Being able to have sex with who I want, how I want, and when I want is 100% worth 40k over 4 years. Chronic sexual repression would result in suboptimal Step 1 and shelf scores. Probably lower clerkship evals too. You have to think long term about where you want to end up when making a decision where you are going to live. There are trade offs to both. But when you're making that dermatologist or radiologist salary 'cuz you got some on the regular your loans ain't no thang.

I'm not 100% sure if you're serious but it sounds like a personal issue to me.

You gotta cut the cord sometime.

This made me laugh so hard :D

OP, I think 4th year would be easier because you can just come home and collapse, and (hopefully) not have to worry about cooking for yourself when you're exhausted.

This made me laugh so hard :D

OP, I think 4th year would be easier because you can just come home and collapse, and (hopefully) not have to worry about cooking for yourself when you're exhausted.

Yeah, the 4th years seem SO exhausted at all times...they're so tired they sometimes seem to need to leave the hospital right after lunch.

Yeah, the 4th years seem SO exhausted at all times...they're so tired they sometimes seem to need to leave the hospital right after lunch.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this should belong in the "pre-medical" forum. This my first post :).

So, I'm going to be entering Med School soon and will have to find somewhere else to stay. I lived with my parents for my entire 4 years of Undergrad and it saved me a ton of money. My parents said they will allow me to stay in their house 1 more year and then I would have to find my own place.

So my question is - if you had should I stay with my folks for the 1st year of Med School or for the last year of Med School. Anytime I can stay with my parents and save money is a major + for me so I'm not really concerned about my social life.

I'm thinking maybe the 1st is better to live on-campus because I'll have a better chance of finding study partners and then just move back in the 4th year. Or maybe 4th year is so chaotic that I should just stay with my parents the 1st?

Please let me know your thoughts (I did do a search btw but couldn't find this particular topic)

Thanks!

You will want to avoid living with your parents at any point of Med school. Living with mom and dad and on your own can be very different. I have a friend from my undergrad years who makes 100k per year as a programmer. He still lives at home with his parents, in-fact when they bought their new home, they made sure it had a separate apartment unit for him. He doesn't do his own laundry and his mom makes his meals. Going into your second year of med school after living with your parents may literally displace you. You don't want to find yourself swamped in course work during your second year and unable to take care of basic household or living related things (especially budgeting which is a lot different when you are on your own) because you simply never learned how to. Our personal lives have a way of bleeding into our professional lives; I suggest not risking it.

move out dude... come on now.time to cut the cord and finally live your life..
its worth the extra money to finally live like an adult.