Question regarding MSPE as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rihan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So currently one of my medical school officials is in the process of helping me with the MSPE and they asked me to write one of the sections (Noteworthy Characteristics) myself which would include my achievements and qualities etc.

I understand the MSPE is supposed to be an evaluation of med school performance - But I honestly can't recall anything particularly interesting to write about in terms of what I did in med school. However, I have been working as a doctor since I graduated 2 years ago so I wondered if I'd be allowed to include accomplishments from after I graduated? I've asked but my med school has given me no advice about this. Has anyone been in this position before or can anyone let me know if it would be alright to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that's your school didn't give you an answer. Could it be that you didn't like the answer they gave you?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hard to believe that's your school didn't give you an answer. Could it be that you didn't like the answer they gave you?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
No I mean, I asked them specifically about this but they responded by only advising me that it should be between 100-200 words long. So I think that they don't really know either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're overthinking this. It's usually no more than three bullet points, usually a rehash of some research, volunteer, or other activity. It's not very important.

It doesn't surprise me too much that a school outside the US would not be able to give specific advice, I'd imagine they don't do this very often!

My school provides a worksheet that might help a bit, it gives some examples and guidance for the noteworthy characteristics section. Take a look at it here, maybe it will be useful. It stresses that experiences before medical school should be included, and it makes sense that you should be able to include those from after as well--you're trying to sell yourself to residency programs as you are now, not as who you were two years ago.